2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
10,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
she asked for money for a book fair and mom told her no. then she helped herself to $27. when questioned, she denied everything. after i explained to her that she would lose xmas, she decided to come clean. i gave her the talk about lying, stealing, and not honoring mom and dad, but is that enough? what did y'all do? i thought about lines, etc. please, help!

·
www.jacksride.org
5,221 Posts
Definite discipline to curb it.

On the other side, I am pretty sure every kid has taken money from their parent's as kids. Whether it was the change on the dresser or a few dollars from the wallet. Not saying that is an excuse...just sayin'

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
I am wondering why you wouldn't give a kid money for books myself. They are a great investment and it's not like they are something stupid, like another video game.

·
Manvel Mob
829 Posts
Definite discipline to curb it.

On the other side, I am pretty sure every kid has taken money from their parent's as kids. Whether it was the change on the dresser or a few dollars from the wallet. Not saying that is an excuse...just sayin'
Yeah i did it as a kid. Just from mom though i knew better than to even touch dads wallet. I think you did the right thing and the fact that she admitted it says something. I do think a punishment is forth coming.

·
Make America Great Again!!!
2,173 Posts
I'll admit it, i used to steal quarters from my dads money bowl when i was little. Luckily i never got caught or I'd be 6ft under right now (not really, but I'd have definately ran to my room and thrown on a few extra pair of underwear so the spankin wouldnt hurt soo bad). LOL
Kids will be kids, however I do think a punishment is the way to handle this. Talking to kids these days just doesn't seem to work anymore. My daughter's 3 and she'd definatly get a spankin' for lying about it.
Maybe ground her from the TV for a few days.. Tell her Santa told you too. HAHA

·
Premium Member
15,753 Posts
I've seen some of the things on the book fair shopping list and some things can be just as stupid as video games.

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,059 Posts
I am wondering why you wouldn't give a kid money for books myself. They are a great investment and it's not like they are something stupid, like another video game.
Most of the time kids come home from the "book fair" with overpriced, crummy computer games and posters, not books. There have also been times when we've had to deny our kid money for one of the 3 or 4 book fairs they do each year because it simply wasn't in the budget. Sometimes you have to make a choice between gas and groceries or un-needed, but nice to have extras.

Reactions: WilliamH

·
Registered
296 Posts
Personally, I would make a list of chores for her to do to "pay it back"...and also ground her for the weekend from the TV or computer or cell phone, or whatever it is she really, really enjoys the privilege of having.

While books are a great investment, "no" means "no" and she disobeyed, lied and stole...

Keep reiterating the "Honor thy father and mother"...GREAT JOB there!
You might also want to add "Thy shalt not steal".

Tough love is hard...good luck. As the mother of a 20 yr-old daughter, I warn you that it's going to get worse before it gets better...keep nipping in the bud now! My husband describes it as "keeping that thumb pressed on the back of their necks". :smile:
Hang in there!

·
Registered
514 Posts
WOW! a modern day pre teen that pumped about books! either way stealing is wrong. dont beat her! it sounds like you already did the right thing.
maybe add some community service in to the punishment!

·
Registered
48 Posts
she asked for money for a book fair and mom told her no. then she helped herself to $27. when questioned, she denied everything. after i explained to her that she would lose xmas, she decided to come clean. i gave her the talk about lying, stealing, and not honoring mom and dad, but is that enough? what did y'all do? i thought about lines, etc. please, help!
I believe in using the ROD but if that isnt the route you dont want to take.........since she wanted that book so bad she needs to write it word for word 10 times.

·
Banned
8,277 Posts
Make her go outside and cut her own switch, like kids these days would even have a clue, the anticipation would be worse than the whoopin. Anybody had to cut their own switch? You know what I mean. rs

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
God padded that butt for a reason. Thats what my Dad always said. It worked too. I used to cut my own switch at my Grandmas. That little bush was almost dead when I left to go home. Was a lot thinner.

·
non-politically correct
7,304 Posts
Punishment of some type is in order as many have said before. Now it's your job as a parent to determine the type & amount to ensure that it is remembered. Willow switches made me remember.

·
Buzzards gotta eat! same as worms!!!!
2,944 Posts
Some punishment is in order......It would have been the belt or switch for me also.....and it better be a good switch......

·
Registered
263 Posts
Make her go outside and cut her own switch, like kids these days would even have a clue, the anticipation would be worse than the whoopin. Anybody had to cut their own switch? You know what I mean. rs
I had to cut my own switch, then go to my room and wait until one of my parents used it. Sometimes they did, sometimes not. The waiting was worse than the whoopin'. LOL

1 - 20 of 70 Posts