2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'll have to go read it.

I have loaded my spectra bimimis with well over 50% of the breaking strength and they have held. Granted, this is with free weights. I will try the knot with less turns. I have put 60 pounds of leaded work out weights on my bimimis in the past and they have held (80 pound spectra). What was interesting, though, was how much the knot stretches under heavy load. I was shocked as I held up 60 pounds of weight with my thin spectra. This actually scared me. If fewer knots improve the distribution of the stress, then I could see how a 12 turn would work better.

Man, once again, here I am in front of the boards while people are actually fishing in calm seas. Can't wait to get onto big blue again!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I tied a 14 turn bimimi in 50 pound and it slipped--the loop was pulled smaller. Kind of weird. I have never had that happen before. I then did a 7 turn surgeons loop with 50 pound and I broke the line and not the knot. I am going to just tie 6-7 turn surgeon loops with spectra. It has always worked well for me the few times I have used it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I am not going to run and change all my knots at this time based on that article. I have to check the strength of the yucatan connection to the loop. I tied it on my last line change and I am not sure how much I trust it. By looking at the yucatan knot, you would think a lot of pressure is placed on the mono near the spectra loop. I usually have pretty long top shots so I don't have to rely too much on the spectra to mono connection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.