2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When does the mullet run and the shrimp run normally occur in the galveston freeport are?????????????????

·
Boatright custom flats
3,826 Posts
Mullet were cruising the beach by the millions last weekend. Shrimp were thick in the surf as well.

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,391 Posts
Mullet run is in the fall. Big ones spawn. little ones move into the marsh for the winter.

Shrimp do about the same thing, move into the marsh to ride out the winter. Not to the same degree as mullet. . Right now the shrimp are near shore and in the surf molting and spawning.

I do not think we get the mullet runs like they do down south. During the fall of the year the surf at PINS can be black from all the mullet making they way to a channel. Here you may see a increase of mullet, but not the numbers as down south. The reason for this I do not know, we do have just as many if not more mullet on the upper coast. They just seem to move in and out of channels much more often then down south. I would assume fresh water flow has something to di with it.

·
Banned
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks jolly. was watching a fishing program today. It show how in florida in the fall they have a major mullet and shrimp run. The mullets are spawning and the shrimp are moving out of the marshes into the gulf. they showed how the run could last for a month or just a few days. But the fishing at that time is amazing. But I have seen the water black with mullet here in the fall, and Ive also caught a lot of large shad in the fall with throw nets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.