2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Wow -- great buck. In looking at that picture... I got only one question... Did you foul hook him... lol - just kidding. What an accomplishment with a bow. Lets get the story behind the picture now!!!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Holy Smokes

Very nice deer.Were you on a draw hunt,guided,unguided?I can just imagine the effort and preperation it takes to go out of state in search of a trophy and then get one within bow range and actually be successful.Must have been exciting to say the least.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do it yourself drop camp for three guys in Southwest Colorado. We paid a trespass fee to get on private land with the main purpose of elk hunting. We had hunted the same area the year before and saw a bunch of deer so we all put in for deer tags and got drawn. Elk tags were over the counter. The first two days we chased elk and almost got a shot at a 5X5 but a tree blocked his chest. It got hot so we set up a stand on a water hole in an area we'd been seeing some deer in. At 6:15 the first evening this buck and another big one came in to water on the opposite side of the tank. He was about 50 yards away and I started to take a shot but he was quartering to me so I waited and hoped he'd do something stupid when he left. Well, he did. Most critters leave the water hole the same way they came in but this one decided to cross the tank dam and mosey by one of my shooting holes at 31 yards. I whacked him behind the shoulder and he made about an 80 yard half circle and dropped from sight. I nocked another arrow since it was early and was gonna wait on an elk but a coyote came along and got on the blood trail of the deer. I decided to get down and not let the coyot eat all my deer up and couldn't find the deer. It was real thick and my two-bladed broadhead didn't leave a blood trail. I spent two hours trying to find him in waist-high thick brush and finally gave up. As I was walking back to be picked up at dark I stumbled across him piled up in a little hole of brush I had walked by a hundred times. The other two guys with us both ended up shooting deer out of the same stand. Not as big as mine, though. hehehe

·
Registered
729 Posts
Spread??????

Looks like about two feet inside????????

I just got back from my lease in Langtry late last night.West Texas is lush,green and has been the whole summer.It rained on me the whole time I was there.Last year we saw a real nice 14 pointer before season,I hunted that deer but we never crossed paths and I thought maybe he got shot even though there are not many hunters around me.After season one of the guys went out there to get his stuff,got in his stand and the 14 and a big 10 went right to his feeder,so he is still around.I didnt get a good deer last year because I was hunting the 14.I passed a real nice main frame ten with a couple of kickers and ended up shooting two culls,one was an old 4 pt with 18" inside(best dang 4 pt I have ever seen)and an old 8 pt that ****** me off one morning after watching him hammer two different does about 50 yrds from me(he wont breed any more).I leased the 450 acres for myself where the 14 seems to hang out and put out a trail cam to at least try and get a pic of him.He apparently goes nocturnal during season when activity on the ranch picks up.If I could just figure out where he is coming from or where he is going I might get a look or a shot.I'm already frustrated and the season hasnt even started.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
He was 28 outside.

Hey, Capt, did the 14 go down this year any? If you just keep puttin' in your time you'll get him or another good un. Lord knows I was due for some luck out of state. Keep pluggin'. RickyT

Just reread your post and saw the hunter got a look at the 14 after last season. Oh, well.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
'ats a dandy buck there, Ricky. Congratulations. One of my greatest enjoyments was hunting with a bow, back when I could. I'd still like to do it, but my Cardiologist said that will void my warranty. So, I picked up a fly rod instead. Congratulations again, Animal Chris.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts