2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where to buy Aluminum Sulfate or Gypsum in the powder form ? i have a pond that is cloudy all the time and i read that these chemicals will help make it clear, also i was wondering if it would kill my fish what little i have left due to cloudy water. any ideas ?

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
I used a bunch of hay & it helped clear the pond up quick....It promoted algee groth & sealed the bottom

Oxx..

·
Registered
605 Posts
OxbowOutfitters said:
I used a bunch of hay & it helped clear the pond up quick....It promoted algee groth & sealed the bottom

Oxx..
I second what Ox says, and if you can find someone who bales hay which has gotten wet before they could get it out of the field, thats even better, because you can get it alot cheaper.....but caution here....Don't store it in a barn/shed because of spontaneous combustion.....

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
There was an article on this in the May/June "Texas Sporting Journal" by Mark McDonald. Summary: hay(not straw) - 200-250lbs/acre-ft of water, ck in 10-14 days, if not like you want it, repeat w/ same. Said use as little as possible, as too much will deplete O2 as it decomposes. Aluminum sulfate - 100-450 lbs/surface acre. apply 1/3-1/2 this amount, wait a day to see if cleared. If not, add more. Alum affects the pH. He says to ck prior to application. pH should be >7.0 and alkalinity <100mg/liter. If not, use hydrated lime w/ the alum. (Note he changed from acre-ft to surface acre, which I'm thinking are pretty close to each other?) Sounds like hay for me, unless I drag out a chemistry book/kit.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
There is a blue dye that is safe to use. I forget the name, comes in a gallon jug, a little pricey. Doesn't take much to turn my mom's 1/4 acre pond bluish green. I will ask what the name is and where she gets it. It's a product desighned for making ponds and small lakes look nice without harming the fish or those who eat them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Pond color

Don't make your pond too clear or you will get covered up with stringy algea. To color it use Aqua Blue from Tractor Supply for about $35 per gallon. They also have another one that is better and it is about $43 per gallon but I like it better. I think it is Aqua Shade, but they can help you with it. Just don't get the water too clear or you will regret the algea growth. I learned the hard way over a 10 year period. I had to use copper sulphate several times to get rid of the algea, and you don't want to do that too often. Good luck.

·
Tico wannabe
265 Posts
Yep two different kinds of problems. Muddy water can be minimalized with hay as others have said. If you get the water too clear then light penetrates to the bottom and promotes plant growth. Then you need copper sulphate to kill the plant growth. The solution, imo, is to live with a little off color water or dye it a preferred color to minimize plant growth.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
muddy pond

yes, i have heard about getting the water too clear because the #@%&* birds can see the fish easier and they will clean your pond out and you wont have to worry about water clarity then, but on the other hand if the water stays clouded all the time the fish wont multiply and then eventually there wont be anymore fish. if i can ever get it to clear up i will probably use some of that aqua shade to give the fish a little cover from the #@%&* birds or maybe get me one of those pond gators that are supposed to scare them away. thanks evrybody for the info.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would be interested in before and after pics of hay or lime treated ponds if anyone has any. My pond was a beautiful blue/green for the first 6 months after I dug it. After a couple of gulley washers turned it into chocolate soup it has never been the same. Water clears up but never goes back to the beautiful green it was before. Just wondering what hay or lime would do for it. I want the color back but don't want to dye it. Thanks for any pics in advance.

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
Also have a 3/4 acre pond that I think stays muddy from 'Mudcats' will try the hay and see what happens. My pond was dug in a way to prevent birds from fishing as it has bluff banks on all sides. Just so happens I have most of a sq bale left from what we use for garden that I will 'Deep 6' today. WW

1 - 16 of 16 Posts