2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
FISH-HUNT-EAT-SLEEP
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to purchase a surface drive mud motor and need some help on which one i should get, I am looking at 40hp kohler mud buddy and putting it on a 17' prodrive boat. what do ya'll think about the other brands such as GO DEVIL,PRODRIVE,GATORTAIL,BRAVERTAIL?

·
www.boatinsurancehouston. com
269 Posts
Power

Jus my .02 get as much power as u can afford or are willing to pay for. IN my experience with them all the guys I know that run them wish they had gotten the next size up and they all wish they had the aftermarket varna mufflers jet jobs etc to make xtra hp which run about 1500ish whereas the xtra hp stock only run ya about 800

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Yep. Go as big as you can... with the boat as well.

Fixin to put a used Gatortail rig up for sale in excellent shape. 35hp briggs on 1846 boat.

Let me know if you might be interested.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
PS... Prodrives are very nice.... I hunt out of them often.

But, dont let the FPR be a selling point. A bunch of my buddies are running them and they never use it.

And let me tell you, when they say full power, it is FULL POWER.... Ive tried it twice and it was really hard to control.

·
Registered
383 Posts
go to mudmotortalk.com for more info. great website for mudmotor owners. I just sold mine this past summer and I sure do miss it this time of year other than that the boat sits all year not being used.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, mud motors aren't your 'year long' rigs that for sure. I run a Go-Devil long tail and it can be fun to fish out of but it's not easy. I wouldn't buy another one. I'm saving up for a Shallow Sport rig.

·
FISH-HUNT-EAT-SLEEP
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My first mud motor was a 13hp beavertail which was tough and I did not have any problems with it but it was very slow and the throttle would cause hand fatique, the newer surface drives sure look alot faster and manuverable.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Drive out to Mont Belvieu on I-10. Genes Polaris Country sells prodrives and has a demo lake to test them out on....

For as much money as these things cost, I would definetely recommend a test drive first.

·
Cast & Blaster
3,333 Posts
Opps, just saw you already have a PD boat...

If you already have a PD boat the transom angle varies on all the MM brands so if your going with PD boat go with a PD motor otherwise you'll have some trim angle and issues to deal with that aren't quite "ideal" for the intended setup.

FPR is nice but instant reverse is where its at and I haven't been in one spot yet where my GTR hasn't gotten me out.

Go test drive each brand they are fun! I actually use mine year round.

·
FISH-HUNT-EAT-SLEEP
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the good information, keep it comming I need the best money can buy. The main use will be in saltwater with lots of oyster shell and mud.

·
Cast & Blaster
3,333 Posts
I highly suggest Polymer on the boat if you'll be running or sliding over shell reefs... TXSHOCKWAVE here on the website (and many others) has polymer on his hull 1/8" thick.

I run mine all over East Bay, West Bay and all the lakes North of ICW. Only thing that slows me down is sand in less than 3" of water...

My Gator-Tail has held up great to saltwater and the abuse I throw at it. I'd highly suggest you get a SS muffler my stock one rusted out after 50 hours of use.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ive got a mud buddy 6000 on a 17 legend craft boat and the performance is great. If you do end up ordering one make sure to get the camo, the unpainted motors are hell to keep looking new. Mines only 3 weeks old and looks like its 3 years and thats with a wash and corrosion x after every time out.

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,937 Posts
I used a GatorTail for one season, and a Mudbuddy for one season. Both have their strong points. In the end it's all about horse power and prop size. Note that no amount of HP will get you over sand or get you up on a simi hard bottom. You can get back in there close to the air boat guys, but you still can't go everywhere they can. As far as test drives, they all perform well empty, load em up and you have a whole different senario.

If I was buying another surface drive, I'd go with who ever made the biggest one now, and put it on the lightest boat I could live with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
go devil

I have had a go-devil vanguard 35hp on a go-devil 1846 boat. The boat is solid and stands up to anything. The motor is a little old but very easy to work on. There is not much to them. It is an 05 model and when you let them sit for months at times while in the off season things start to happen to them. I had to replace the starter and the muffler on my motor and it was very easy. Mine has no transmission or trim. Its just strait stock and I would not go any other way because that just adds problems. And plus if you have questions about the boat you can call Warren Coco up and he will pretty much tell you exactly what you need to know about the motor. They are very helpful.
I cant say anything about the other motors, MB or gator track cause i have not ran them but i just cant complain about go devil and i dont know if owning another motor could be any easier.
I am also thinking about taking just the motor off my lower unit and replacing it with a new 35 vanguard motor i can get from Northern Tool. this will save me half the cost of a brand new motor and lower unit from go-devil. What are yalls thoughts about that. Have you heard of anyone doing this. The lower unit is still perfect but the motor has a lot of hours on it. What kind of problems can i run into with the belt or mounting it back on the lower unit? thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts