2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Income Magician
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got up at the but-o-crack mornin to head south to meet JeffW for the first time for a joint venture out of Clute, Texas. Since I live off of Hwy 290 Northwest of Houston I had to leave at 4:00am sharp to be at Jeff's place by o'dark thirty. While Jeff was still counting sheep I made my way down.

Arrived at the ramp around 6:00am or a little after. Skies were cloudy but otherwise it looked pretty good. Tried the mouth first but too much weed. We headed into a bay Jeff knew about. There was a ton of bait and fins shooting all over the place. They were chasing mullet just not our mullet. Tried that for awhile and decided to move back towards the mouth. Stop outside the flood gates on the Intracoastal and was promptly told to move by the gate **** guarding the best honey hole for his buddies.

Anchored off a little past his walking distance. Immediately hooked up on a 15 1/2 inch flounder. Threw back out and caught a 17 inch red. (Jeff's gettign a little worried at this point). Hooked up a small flatty and tossed him. Bottom fell out and we hunkered down under the bimini top and pressed on. I hit the honey hole one more time for what looked like a 16 1/2 inch flounder. This was great but Jeff put the net away and I was stuck under the bimini top and watched as the flounder flipped himself off the hook and slowly, I mean slowly drifted back to the bottom. ARGH!!!! Then Jeff pulls the net back out and the bite turns cold for a while.

Jeff caught a few Mangrove Snappers but we did not know what the size limits might be, so he tossed the first two or three back. We later found out we were tossing legal Mangroves. We managed to catch two more.

Went back to the mouth of the Brazos and immediately hooked into a 17 in. smack. Shortly after hooked a 16 1/2 spec trout. A few hardheads were caught but I can't say by who(I was told not to say anything about that).

I had a great time. Caught my first Mangrove and smack and met a heck of a nice guy who likes to fish as much as I do. Thanks Jeff and look forward to the next one. By the way, feel free to fill in about the 30 pound triple tail we almost caught......or was it a sea turtle. No need to mention that I forgot to bring the beer... Nobody needs to know that. We'll just keep that between us.

Here is the picture of the catch. Camera was screwy, sorry for the bad focus. Couldn't reshoot-had to clean cus momma was waiting with a hot fryin pan. Had the smack and the bigger flounder pan seared right off the filet knife and it was finger lickin good!!!

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
Ahhh man, you HAD to punk me out on the hardheads, huh? LOL. I was TRYING to catch them to get 'em out of your way, hehe
. Had a great time Brad and it was a pleasure meeting you. Looking forward to the next trip, maybe conditions will be a little better. Fishing was kinda tough considering the downpours (thank God for the bimini), the seaweed, the potlickers and that non-driving barge/tugboat dude that totally blew out the honey hole. The mud was so thick in the water after he got his act together that you could dang near walk on the water.

As for the tripletail, man that sucker was huge. We were anchored up in this one spot and the mother of all tripletails casually swims by right beside the boat, just teasing us. At first glance it looked like a sea turtle it was so big. Once it got closer to see what it was, we kinda looked at it like :eek:. Brad made an attempt to freeline a mullet in front of it but no dice.

Had a great time on the water. Gimme a buzz when things smooth over at the homefront. Gigging or fishing, I'm game.

Ahem......

???

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Size limit for Mangrove's

B-Dog, this is what I've got on Mangrove's, but not real specific inside the Fed.Water Range.. Great Eating Fish!! ><>
Additionally, the life history of gray snapper makes it difficult to manage. Adult fish occur offshore in the Gulf while juveniles occur in the bay and near passes. Most of the adult population actually occurs in waters under federal jurisdiction and are covered by Gulf of Mexico federal bag and size limits. Those regulations are minimum length of 12 inches and bag limit of 10 in an aggregate of several species of snapper (not including red, lane, or vermillion). More information on federal rules can be found at www.gulfcouncil.org.
Go Phish!! ><>

·
Income Magician
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Livin for fishin....

Hey Jeff, thanks for filling in the wholes in my story.

Calm seas on the home front but if I go fishin one more time, my wife is going to break my rods in half. I sure hope she doesn't know about the two I already bought myself for Christmas!!! Anyway, I think she would be cool once I take her out to dinner, rub her feet, do the laundry, clean the kitchen, and mow the grass. :headknock

Anybody know of a good maid service that works for free fish filets? Any body out there have a foot fetish? I'm lookin for a cheap yard guy. Don't worry about dinner, I gotta eat too.LOL:D

Livin for fishin....

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
Livin for fishin ??? Sounds to me like if you do much more fishin, you'll be lucky to keep livin, lmao! I guess buying that new Curado is definitely out of the question. Get busy on them honey-do's, that AllStar rod you got wasn't made to be a 2-piece.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Speaking from first hand recent experience....all you guys be SO careful when storm roll through with lightning. Even if you are in a boat...and lightning strikes within 20 ft...you WILL definately feel the effects...AFTER you come to !!! I listened to a fisherman speak of the next to him strike that put his lights out...and I was at Sargent beach wading Sat. AM...was out of the water due to near by lightning bolts....standing barefoot changing clothes...and BOOM ! right behind my truck!!! I felt the shock of my LIFE from just above my ankles down....next thing I know...I'm in my truck getting my vision back.....and catching my breath.....
It will never happen to me....had close calls..but...naw..not me..! Yeah RIGHT !!!!! WOW !!!
Be careful !!!!!!

·
Income Magician
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Come on Jeff... I got a reputation I'm trying to build here. Whos punkin who now????

·
Income Magician
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice Harvey, I forgot to mention... Danger is my middle name. LOL

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
Ya, we kept an eye out on the thunderstorms. If things got too dicy, we were only a mile from the boat ramp. I can handle the rain, but lightning I do take seriously. It got questionable there for a little bit when we saw some lightning bolts off in the distance, but thankfully they were going the other direction. I have good judgement most of the time, well, maybe driving a flatbottom thru the surf w/3 foot breakers doesn't fall under the category of "good judgement."
For the most part, I try and come home in one piece.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
nice report.. beats sitting at home not wanting to get wet...

·
Haynie HO/Merc ProXS
797 Posts
Great report guys. Be careful on the offer for the foot rub and yard work. I know a couple of guys on this board that will try and work out a trade of some type. lmao!! There are some fast talkers on this board and mama may be asking you to do more fishing!!!!!!lmao. Glad you guys had some fun. I wish I had been there, except for the bad weather part. Ran from it on Saturday myself and just did make it in before the bottom fell out, lighting and all.

·
Income Magician
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the great comments guys. I got a warm fuzzy all over!!! LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
I asked TP&W (email to their website) about mangrove bag and size limits in Texas state waters. Their answer: no size or bag limits. So enjoy them. I did the same thing at Port OConner area last year, threw them back because didnt know the regs. I'm going to be ready this year.

·
Income Magician
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Bayourat, Yeah ours were nice but we were definately considering a little potlicking when you guys walked up with those heavy stringers. You guys had the catch of the day it looked like.

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
bayourat said:
Nice fish, I was one of the 3 guys that were wading and talked to you about the mangroves.
No doubt. You 3 guys had great stringers. We tried that area a little bit, but I think we were a little late. I noticed one or two of you guys were using live mullet and the other(s) were using plastics. Which worked better for ya?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts