2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at lightweight rifles in 243. I've held Kimber, Browing TI and Abolt and Rem700 mountain. Rem has a 700 Titanium that weighs 5.5 lbs. All of these would be about 7 lbs scoped, slung, and loaded.

What's the downside of a mountain design and who has benched any of these to benchmark the best group.

b

·
Firm Member
1,965 Posts
Are you looking at mountain chasis for lightweight or style?

·
Registered
117 Posts
rifle

Bobby Miller said:
I've been looking at lightweight rifles in 243. I've held Kimber, Browing TI and Abolt and Rem700 mountain. Rem has a 700 Titanium that weighs 5.5 lbs. All of these would be about 7 lbs scoped, slung, and loaded.

What's the downside of a mountain design and who has benched any of these to benchmark the best group.

b
I have a Kimber in 308 and it's about 7 lbs. scope and all, and it's a tack driver....Smoothest action of all my rifles............

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want shorter, lighter to be more portable and easier to shoot standing than my A-Bolt 30-06. I want something with light recoil, but at least '08 powder capacity so I can get plenty of energy. I also want a load I can buy at walllyworld ... just in case I forget to buy bullets before I leave for the battle. That means 7mm - 08 is out. So is 6mm.

I want a new toy and I am fishing for excuses.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a Kimber .300 WSM and would HIGHLY recommend it. The action/trigger/barrel combination is a thing of beauty. Coupled with a Zeiss scope...a thing of beauty.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Bobby Miller said:
I want shorter, lighter to be more portable and easier to shoot standing than my A-Bolt 30-06.
I'll give you shorter and lighter to be more portable, but it won't be easier to shoot (hit with), especially standing.
The more weight(within reason) a rifle has, the less recoil its going to have and the less its going to wave around in the wind when you try to hold it steady. That is why they put max weight limits on target rifles. Even the very fast standing matches like running boar, use rifles than are right at the max weight limit.
Get a short lite rifle, if you are going to carry it a lot and not shoot much or very far.
Get a heavier rifle, if you are going to do more shooting than carrying and want to be able to hit something easier at long range.

I always thought "I want one" was a plenty good excuse for a new toy. Now you've got reason to get 2 new toys. One for close in thats handy to carry and another one for "way over yonder"

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most of my shots have been inside 100 yds. Inside 40, you have to be wary of motion. The lighter rifle can be held to the shoulder longer than a match rifle as I wait for the deer to turn or emerge. I'll to have to work on my steadiness at the range.

The 243 covers the recoil issue. I've been thinking of this for a while, so I've contemplated all of the points, below.

I'm down to quality, durability, and overall enjoyment of owning one brand over another.

gundoctor said:
I'll give you shorter and lighter to be more portable, but it won't be easier to shoot (hit with), especially standing.
The more weight(within reason) a rifle has, the less recoil its going to have and the less its going to wave around in the wind when you try to hold it steady. That is why they put max weight limits on target rifles. Even the very fast standing matches like running boar, use rifles than are right at the max weight limit.
Get a short lite rifle, if you are going to carry it a lot and not shoot much or very far.
Get a heavier rifle, if you are going to do more shooting than carrying and want to be able to hit something easier at long range.

I always thought "I want one" was a plenty good excuse for a new toy. Now you've got reason to get 2 new toys. One for close in thats handy to carry and another one for "way over yonder"

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
I have a custom 300 winmag in a 700bdl stainless action,fluted, muzzlebreak, kevlar stock etc... weighs in under 7lbs. the smoothest shooter that I have.. It has much less recoil than my 270,(I was surprised about that) but I must admit that I dont hunt with it much..I have been carrying my old savage mo. 99 in .243 for the past couple of years.. I just cant bring myself to shooting tx whitetails with a 300wm..

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Bobby Miller said:
Most of my shots have been inside 100 yds. Inside 40, you have to be wary of motion.
At those distanceses, I'd consider a good pistol. It'd be much easier to carry(shorter and lighter than any "mountain riflle") and a hell of a lot more satisfing when you put a nice buck on the ground.
A good revolver or singleshot in 44 mag or 45 colt doesn't have that much recoil and will do the job on deer/hogs very nicely out to 100yds. You can even put scopes on them if you want.
I'm not saying a pistol is for everyone, but if you aln't shooting over 100yds, its something that should be considered.
I've killed several deer with various pistols over the years.

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
Look at the Tikka T3 Hunter.

Very light and handy, all the popular cals, great trigger (adjustable), comes with lightweight rings 1 moa out of the box, and the price is good

·
Carlos
168 Posts
mountain rifle

As Johnboat said, the Tikka T3 is an outstanding choice for a light, accurate rifle and would be at the top of my list! I already have a Steyr SBS Mountain Rifle in .308 that is extremely accurate and is my favorite rifle that I own. that said, there is always room for "one more rifle" and my next will probably be a Tikka T3.

·
Registered
841 Posts
look at the steyr scout. i have one in 7mm.08 awith a medium eye relief scope i love it, stock folds out into a bipod holds a spare mag in the stock nice weapon.

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Bobby

I went through all the stuff for the shorter and lighter rifle. Guess what? I ended up with a youth model model 7. Had to put a pad on it cuz it was so short. I love it.

Charlie

·
Perch Slayer - Bambi Killer
714 Posts
Kimber!!!!

All I can say is Kimber all the way. One of the lightest rifles that I have ever held. I bought my Dad one in a 7mm-08 and it is super sweet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts