2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new MG 82lb. on new boat in June. First trip to water prop came off while in use in ICW near Mansfield. Was told by several this is quite common on the "new" motorguides.

Anybody ever hear of this and if so how did you fix/stop this?? I'm gonna try to drill a hole in the shaft in the end, tap it and install maybe a 1/8" SS screw with a washer to hold mine on.

BTW, if you find it you can have the old one or notify me and I'll come pick it up.

·
Banned
1,953 Posts
If it was put on backwards it will come off, I'm not exactly sure how I did it but I put my prop on the wrong way once. So when I hit the pedal it spun the prop off, my dad explaned it to me and did I feel stupid

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
Put a dab of lock tight on the threads or even silicone on the shaft after you install the prop. They come with locktight on them from the factory. If you have ever tried to remove it you've broke the seal and will have to reapply.
--Hop

376 Posts
The only time I have had my prop come off my trolling motor is when operating in reverse and bumping the bottom. I would just make sure the new prop nut is tight. If you use loctite, make sure it is the removable locktite and not the permanent type so it would be easier to change. Even if you drill and tap the shaft, when you operate in reverse if the screw is loose, it can come off. Just make sure the prop nut is tight.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lost Prop

I think what happened on the prop is just what you said SNTFF, I hit reverse and bumped the edge of the ICW (hard sand). When i did, I probably sheared my pin and when continued, it just spun off. My corrective action has been to quit using reverse. Doesn't really do much good in reverse anyway. I just keep it in forward and turn the tiller.

Thanks for the replies. I was just curious because some I had talked with acknowledged that this was kinda common on the new MG's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts