2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
''Majek skinny''
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 115 HP Johnson.

Could not get the engine to shift into reverse or forward. I take it to my mechanic and he finds (while I watch him) that both motor mounts are corroded beyond recognition. Must be replaced.

The mounts corroding the way they did forced the lower unit in a backward direction. This put the shifting rod in a bind at the top of the engine where it connects to the remaining linkage, not allowing the engine to shift into gear. With the lower unit removed the shift rod shifts gears as designed.

This sounds like premature failure to me and I do not see a way to prevent it from happening again. I wash down and flush the engine after each use.

Could be a couple of hundred dollars for the mounts, not including the labor. I do not understand how these critical parts could be sacrificial. Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or know of a way to prevent it?

·
''Majek skinny''
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A little follow up to my situation. The motor mounts that I am referring to are the ones that are on either side of the midsection of the motor just above the cavitation plate. They attach to the tilt/trim mechanism and the midsection of the motor. They are encapsulated in vulcanized rubber, although you cannot see the rubber unless you remove the side plates that cover them.

BlueWaveEd they cost about $130 each. You can find them online for around $100 */-. Labor costs not known yet.

I called Johnson Outboards Corp. and naturally they have no record of anything similar to this. Their only explanation of this is that there must of been some saltwater intrusion...duh. The guy on the phone even tried to tell me that my motor was not a Saltwater Series. For both of them to have failed at the same time and to the same degree seems strange to me.

I'll have to eat the cost of them this time, but I can assure you that they will be installed with some more protection this time. I'm thinking of corrosion guard on the outside of the mounts and maybe pack the cavity where they are housed with grease.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
I have only replaced lowers one time on a 80 hp merc had to replace plenty on top side on the big loopers. Dose sound strange OMC made engines for what 30 yrs and they lasted for many yrs and they werent SW series.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I have a similar problem with a Force motor, the zink plated bolts are so corroded I had to cut them out. All I needed to do was change the swivel bracket and now need all motor mounts and bolts. The mounts are frozen on the bolts so they are useless, I guess they save money by not using stainless.

GED:(

·
Registered
301 Posts
I did it

I just had this done on my '02 Merc 115. My mounts were completely shot and the motor was pretty floppy back there.

It cost me a pretty good chunk of change, mostly labor, to have it done. He had to break out the sawzall and torch to take it apart. Ended up replacing the steering tube too.
Despite the cost, I'm glad I got it done.

What amazes me is that the entire motor has to come apart to get to anything. Seems outboard engineering could use a huge overhaul after so many years!!......but thats just my opinion. :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've not seen a set of lower mounts go bad yet on a Johnson, but I have replaced several on smaller Mercs.
I have an older 115 that's been left in the water every summer with no issues. Not to say it don't have it's share of salt corrosion, but it's still serviceable after over 20 years.

I suppose the lack of stainless has more to do with strength issues than cost, most of the smaller hardware on my older motor is stainless, but the motor mount bolts and other mounting area bolts are not.

You may want to look into possible electrolysis issues which may be contributing to the corrosion?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have see replaced lots of OMC lower motor mounts, in the salt water, the squeeze out and causes the shift rod to bind on the sterring tube in runs inside of, if left too long will take out the clutch dog, also possible the gears ramps ,from not going in gear all the ways,, Look at the mount outside cover and the insde of the housing if they do not line up even there is a problem also look in front of the mount from under the mount and you can see the shift rod rubbing the sterring tube on the back side. it take about one per side to replace.. I have replace a lot of merc lower mounts also, that were falling apart! The Drive shaft also runs in a tube in the mid section area and can cause binding and rubbing of the drive shaft it it gets too bad.

·
''Majek skinny''
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have see replaced lots of OMC lower motor mounts, in the salt water, the squeeze out and causes the shift rod to bind on the sterring tube in runs inside of, if left too long will take out the clutch dog, also possible the gears ramps ,from not going in gear all the ways,, Look at the mount outside cover and the insde of the housing if they do not line up even there is a problem also look in front of the mount from under the mount and you can see the shift rod rubbing the sterring tube on the back side. it take about one per side to replace.. I have replace a lot of merc lower mounts also, that were falling apart! The Drive shaft also runs in a tube in the mid section area and can cause binding and rubbing of the drive shaft it it gets too bad.
Sonny, it's good to see that you are back in the state. I stopped by your place to have you take a look at it last Wednesday, but I was told that you would not be back until Monday, so I brought it to Victoria.

You are dead on with what is happening with mine, as far as the rubbing is concerned. Should be back in business by this weekend. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Here is a picture of mine looking from above. Have not had chance to get boat out of sling so I can really take a good look at it. Hopefully next week.
Top is the left side and the bottom is the right side. Anybody know what the gap is supposed to be between the mount cover and the mount bracket? Also Sonny how hard to replace? Should I take it to someone or can an average guy do it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yep they are bad, when they are not even with the white parts and the black rubber mount is showing, they need to be repalced, to keep from having shift problems from the shift shaft dragging on the sterring tube the shift rod rides in. It will cause shift dog and gear problems and replacement of both shift dog and gear set if it is not going into gear all the way or slowly getting dragged into gear.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Sonny, it's good to see that you are back in the state. I stopped by your place to have you take a look at it last Wednesday, but I was told that you would not be back until Monday, so I brought it to Victoria.

You are dead on with what is happening with mine, as far as the rubbing is concerned. Should be back in business by this weekend. Thanks for your input.
Sorry i missed you and thanks for coming to me first, sorry but was at school learning more about Yamaha's trying to keep up with all the new stuff coming out, and learning more about the engines out there, My mechanic and i was there. Again thanks for thinking about letting us take care of your boating needs. Sonny

1 - 14 of 14 Posts