2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my buddy has a wellcraft bay boat not sure the year or model. I thinks is 22 foot with t top and I think it's around a 2017 model. It has a bob's jackplate, pretty sure on the brand, bolted to the transom. The 250 sho 20 " is bolted to it on the 3rd hole down on the motor bracket.

With the plate all the way down it works okay. But with 4 guys and gear it struggles to get on plane and it has the nizpro 332 tune on it. So I wouldn't think it's lack of power. That is with the motor trimmed all the way down to. If you raise the plate over say 1 inch the motor is coming to high out of the water and it starts to blow out while on plane. I feel that the motor should be mounted lower so more of the motor is in the water when lowered down all the way. This I would think would provide more bite for takeoff and give more range for jackplate use.

Moving it to the top bolt hole on the motor bracket will give it another 1 3/4" - 2" depth.

What do y'all think.

·
Registered
887 Posts
It was mounted in the top hole before but he bought it used and has no idea why they moved it. So do you think the reasoning makes logical sense?
If he can call a marine shop preferably that sells these boats so they're familiar with that boat, motor and how it should be set up that would help. But it does sound like the motor is too high. That's not a shallow water boat if I'm understanding what boat he has so no need for it to be that high.

·
Trust me, I'm a professional.
1,715 Posts
What are the RPMs when hammering the throttle to come up on plane? Could be a worn out prop.

Those boats sit in the water like a lead bathtub so it takes a lot of grip to get them up in a decent manner.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are the RPMs when hammering the throttle to come up on plane? Could be a worn out prop.

Those boats sit in the water like a lead bathtub so it takes a lot of grip to get them up in a decent manner.
That I couldn't tell you. But he is planning on taking it in and have it reworked. Baumans told him the same thing. Lead bath tub....😂😂😂 I got to tell him that

1 - 9 of 9 Posts