2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a 2003 Yamaha Saltwater Series 200HP outboard. It was rebuilt last spring and broken in this summer. Saturday I was cruising across the bay at about 5100 rpm and the motor would drop to 4800 rpm for a few seconds before powering back up to 5100. Then on the way back, the motor completely shut down from 5100 rpm. It then started back up just fine and I rode home without any problems, but I did not take it past 4500 rpm. Any ideas on what might be the problem?

Thanks,

Garrett

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
spark or fuel , hard to say from that info

is your fuel and fuel system clean ? good filters etc.

might pull the plugs and look at them, it could show a slow fire issue

·
Registered
159 Posts
check your fuel/water separator if you have one, mine acted this way with some crappy fuel...make sure to use stabilizer in the fuel, regardless if you store the boat or not....stabil with ethanol treatment works great, you can find it at walmart for about $20 bucks...great for lawn mowers and weed eaters too! good luck

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
Use your ring free. You could have some carbon build up.

Biggie:D

·
Registered
846 Posts
Had this exact issue with my old yammie. The ethanol was eating at the inside of the fuel hoses. Took bowls off of carbs and there was thousands of tiny black rubber pieces. Never saw evidence of that in the filter either. Anyhow, in rough water or at WOT it would suck the pieces into the high speed jets. Cleaned out the jets and bowls and it worked fine. Then it happened again and was time for the same treatment plus new fuel lines. hope that helps some.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts