2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how exactly to get out to Mosquito Island without a boat. I've been told you can park on the dike and wade out on a sand bar. Any suggestions would help. Thanks 2coolers

·
Registered
30,679 Posts
drive to the dike. just past the top of the levee as you are heading down, you'll see "anita's" bar/grill/bait camp on your left. as soon as you pass anita's, you'll be able to see mosquito island off to your left (north). you can park right there and walk across the island which runs prependicular to, and intersects, the dike.

if you get there before daylight, pull off of the road to the left right after the boat ramp (just past "anita's), and look for the big orange signs on the concrete barriers that say, "no vehicles beyond this point," and you're there.

good luck.

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Nate, there's a 30+ deep hole on the southwest end of the island. One second you're in a foot of water, the next second you're over your head ... no slope. Wear a PFD. Do a search (top of the page) of Mosquito Island and you'll find a lot more info. Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
253 Posts
does anyone know why this hole is even here? What keeps it from filling in with sand.
Yes I know lots of questions but one more, have you ever fished the bottom and what could I expect fishing down there?
Philip

·
Registered
30,679 Posts
Philip C said:
does anyone know why this hole is even here? What keeps it from filling in with sand.
Yes I know lots of questions but one more, have you ever fished the bottom and what could I expect fishing down there?
Philip
i'm not even certain the hole is still there, or, at least is a deep as it used to be, phillip. i do know it does get deep on the west side of mosquito island, and as you head north parallel to the levee, but it depends on what charts you look at.

mosquito island used to be considerably bigger, but much of it was washed away during hurricane "alicia" in 1983.

i have caught plenty of flounder on the bottom on the west side over the years, and you can catch specks on lures and shrimp under a popping cork when the tide is moving.

here is a "maptec" navigational chart of the area which doesn't even show a hole. i think this chart is probably more accurate, but who knows for sure?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Did anyone ever go and mark the channel? I know someone was offering to buy the 2" PVC to mark it in an earlier thread. I used to fish there quite often, and never really found a huge hole, but I was quite carefull.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Deep hole

I took my fish finder out there and only found it to be 15' deep. Now it got there very quickly but only 15'.

Hijack

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I was wondering what happened to the big hole?? we tried to find it and fish it sat. in boat and could only find 13 ft at the deepest part???
pelican said:
Nate, there's a 30+ deep hole on the southwest end of the island. One second you're in a foot of water, the next second you're over your head ... no slope. Wear a PFD. Do a search (top of the page) of Mosquito Island and you'll find a lot more info. Good luck and be safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts