2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sell Me Your House! NO Commissions!
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if you can drive around from the Texas City Dike to the flood gate at Moses Lake? I was there a couple months ago and the road was closed. I live in Spring and don't get down there much. I'm just learning about fishing for trout and reds and heard it was a pretty good area. I want to find somewhere to fish on this side of the bridge to Galveston for when I can sneak away for a couple of hours. Has the dike been re-opened yet? I'd appreciate any help since I'm clueless! Thanks!

·
Twitch..Twitch--->Boom
5,311 Posts
The Dike will be closed for sometime. You cannot get down the dike access (skyline drive ) to Moses Lake.

Jump on Skyline Drive and there is allot of good fishing right there if you dont have a boat.

·
csmilo23
126 Posts
Yeah i like fishing down there by the flood gate as well. But all the times i went down there last month it was blocked off.

C.Hern, are you talking bout parking off skyline and walking down to those rocks?

·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i like fishing down there by the flood gate as well. But all the times i went down there last month it was blocked off.

C.Hern, are you talking bout parking off skyline and walking down to those rocks?
Thanks for the comment. I went on Thursday afternoon just to see if I could get there. The road was open back to the flood gate and I parked and took the kayak down to the rocks. Paddled across the lake along the northern shoreline. Very foggy and didn't even get one bite. There were several other boats in the area but I didn't see anyone catching anything. I've been there about 4 times and haven't caught a fish yet. I thought the deep holes might hold fish since it's been so cold. It doesn't seem like a great place to me.

·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Dike will be closed for sometime. You cannot get down the dike access (skyline drive ) to Moses Lake.

Jump on Skyline Drive and there is allot of good fishing right there if you dont have a boat.
Thanks for the comment. I went on Thursday afternoon just to see if I could get there. I was able to drive back to the flood gate. I parked and took the kayak down to the rocks on the inside of the gate. Paddled across the lake along the northern shoreline. Very foggy and didn't even get one bite. There were several other boats in the area but I didn't see anyone catching anything. I've been there about 4 times and haven't caught a fish yet. I thought the deep holes might hold fish since it's been so cold. Where would you suggest along Skyline Drive? I fished the base of the dike once and caught a few small sandies, but that's about it.

·
csmilo23
126 Posts
Thanks for the comment. I went on Thursday afternoon just to see if I could get there. The road was open back to the flood gate and I parked and took the kayak down to the rocks. Paddled across the lake along the northern shoreline. Very foggy and didn't even get one bite. There were several other boats in the area but I didn't see anyone catching anything. I've been there about 4 times and haven't caught a fish yet. I thought the deep holes might hold fish since it's been so cold. It doesn't seem like a great place to me.
That sucks but at least you went fishing.

Thanks for posting that you went out there and the road is now opened back up. I've never fished on that side of the flood gate. I like to fish those ponds on inside of the flood gate, left side if your diving towards the flood gate.

What were you using for bait? I wanna go out there this weekend......

·
Registered
491 Posts
skyline

Skyline used to be one of my favorite spots. For several years, my pb trout was a 24.75 caught about 100 yards east of the floodgate. The stretch between the floodgates and dollar point is where i fished the most. Some really big trout used to be caught right at dollar point around the old pier pilings. Hooked and lost a couple there myself. I always considered it primarily a spring/summer spot. Well protected from hard south wind. Never fished it this time of year. lol

·
Remember the Veterans
8,047 Posts
Skyline drive is closed from time to time due to dirty diaper build up. It's worse during the warmer months. We need more barrels mark "Basura" along that stretch.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Moses lake is hit and miss for me, the last 2 times I fished there I didnt get a thing but the time before those I did really well. Ive been wanting to drive over there and fish along the rocks on Skyline but dont know what spot to try any suggestions?

·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I was fishing on the inside of the flood gates along the northern shoreline of the lake. I was in my kayak and fog was so heavy that day I was afraid to get too far from shore. Visability was only about 75 yards and I didn't want to get turned around and lost. It finally cleared up around 4:00 pm. I was fishing with fresh dead shrimp under a cork, paddle tails tipped with shrimp, several mirrolures and still nothing. I seem to repeat that pattern alot... but hey, still beats working!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I was fishing on the inside of the flood gates along the northern shoreline of the lake. I was in my kayak and fog was so heavy that day I was afraid to get too far from shore. Visability was only about 75 yards and I didn't want to get turned around and lost. It finally cleared up around 4:00 pm. I was fishing with fresh dead shrimp under a cork, paddle tails tipped with shrimp, several mirrolures and still nothing. I seem to repeat that pattern alot... but hey, still beats working!
I think Moses is a perfect kayak lake...it is small enough you can move around and try different spots. I ran into a real nice guy kayaking around the southeast side quite a bit....near the last houses you see there is a drain pipe with shallow flats. I never had any luck there, but when I saw him in the summer he said he was catching flounder and reds.....

·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've never fished the south side. I've been trying the north side because of the deep holes. It seems to fit all the requirements: deep water, flats close by, lots of water movement, protected from the wind, etc. It's also one of only 2 places near Galveston that TPWD will close down if we have freezing temps for 3 days or more. Supposedly, that's where the fish will stack up to keep from freezing and they want to protect the fish from over harvesting. I would think the fish would be there when it gets close to freezing too, but I've had no luck. More than likely, it's me....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts