2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are Mosac boats a quality boat. I am interested in the Raider model. I have been looking at a used Explorer TV 23, Mowdy TV 22 and the El Pescador TV 24. Came across the Mosac recently but do not know anything about this brand of boat. All I can tell is it appears they are not made anymore. Any info on this brand of boat would be appreciated.

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
12,085 Posts
It's Mosca.
They closed up a while ago. Reviews have always been mixed. I think the bad reviews had mostly to do with personal conflicts and bad customer service. There was some confirmed and some unconfirmed shady business practices there.
The Bay Raider is a typical tunnel V style. Takes chop better and smoother than a flats boats. Reasonably shallow for most operation. Slow hull design.
The Flats Raider is your shallow water operation flats boat that is great for that pursuit. Not great when you ask it to do anything else. Rides like carp and wet.

Do a search here for "Mosca" and you will find more than you want.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's Mosca.
They closed up a while ago. Reviews have always been mixed. I think the bad reviews had mostly to do with personal conflicts and bad customer service. There was some confirmed and some unconfirmed shady business practices there.
The Bay Raider is a typical tunnel V style. Takes chop better and smoother than a flats boats. Reasonably shallow for most operation. Slow hull design.
The Flats Raider is your shallow water operation flats boat that is great for that pursuit. Not great when you ask it to do anything else. Rides like carp and wet.

Do a search here for "Mosca" and you will find more than you want.
Thank you for the info. I have come across some bad PR on the boat, but wanted some validation which you have confirmed here. I appreciate your honesty.

·
Registered
388 Posts
For what it is worth...I currently have the Explorer 23 TV (2007 model) and love it. I had the 21 TV before. Run a 175 suzuki on it. Great hull design - just cant turn on a dime going 40 with the jack plate all the way up or else it can swap ends. But that is botor error IMO, not the fault of the hull. I can run in 18 inches and have taken it offshore mutliple times. Boat is amazingly dry when running - even coming across west galveston bay in 2 foot chop we do not get wet at all... Mowdys can be very wet so i would make sure to ride on them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate your reply. I have heard good and bad about this boat, the good way out weights the bad. I am seriously looking a the Explorer 23 TV as my first choice, used of course since they are no longer made. Should have bought one back in 2000 when I visited their shop and was considering one. Unfortunately I got transferred to Florida, a boat like this isn't popular there and I am not about to spend the type of money the Hewes and similar boats like a Hewes go for over there. Completely different fishing over there. Way to small of boat for that kind of money. Bought a Searay Laguna CC 24 instead while living there, great big bay and offshore boat for that area. I have sold it and am looking mostly to fish inshore and be able to wade. One other question, on the 23 TV, what is the max horse power rating?

Again, thank you for your response.

Chuck.

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
12,085 Posts
I wouldn't worry about max HP. Get anything you like between 150 and 225.
That is a slow hull design. You will have no gains over 225 even if you put a 650 back there.

If you are wanting the shallowst draft go with the 150. If you are wanting 5mph faster top end go with the 225.

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
12,085 Posts
You can put whatever you want. There is no problem insuring an over powered hull. At all.

But a TV will not gain anything from the additional HP. In fact it will be detrimental costing you draft. Complete waste of money with zero benefit.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
The last time I had to deal with the boat ins. people the HP of the motor didn't much
By the way, what is the max you can put on a 23 TV and still be insurable?
matter. What interested them was how fast the boat will go and I was told straight up that 50mph was the standard limit and you will pay a premium on anything that'll go faster ... I don't think you have much to worry about on that hull ...

·
'81 Aggie
1,628 Posts
I'd be careful overpowering a boat beyond the USCG rating for insurance purposes. They'll insure it and take your money, but will they pay out? Insurance companies are notorious for finding reasons not to pay out, especially if the claim is a whopper. I'd love to hear from someone who has collected on a > million dollar liability claim on an overpowered boat. Not a small dent, a whopper claim...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can you point me in the direction of the mosca bay raider you found for sale if your not interested in it. Got a buddy looking for one.
Sorry for the late response, but this boat apparently has sold.
Can you point me in the direction of the mosca bay raider you found for sale if your not interested in it. Got a buddy looking for one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd be careful overpowering a boat beyond the USCG rating for insurance purposes. They'll insure it and take your money, but will they pay out? Insurance companies are notorious for finding reasons not to pay out, especially if the claim is a whopper. I'd love to hear from someone who has collected on a > million dollar liability claim on an overpowered boat. Not a small dent, a whopper claim...
That was I was trying to find out, what is the USCG rating listed on a Explorer 23 TV. Since this boat is no longer made, its hard to find any specs on it. I would never go beyond the USCG rating. Never have on any boat I have owned in the past. My former Searay 24 Laguna was rated for a max of 300. Found it funny that the Sheriffs Department had a couple of the same boats as mine. They were running twin 200's on their boats. Guess the USCG do not apply to them. I ask them and they would not respond to my query.

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
12,085 Posts
The rating plate for HP or number of people is a mathematical number assigned and is completely unenforceable. Take the plate off if it bothers you this much. No Coast Guard, no law enforcement, no Game Warden etc will be able to enforce anything whatsoever on that plate. You can bolt whatever power plant or power plants you want and have as many people as you have life jackets for till it is sitting on the bottom. If the insurance company asks about it that is your warning that they are looking for an out. For example if the insurance company asks about it and your hull says 175....and you have a 175 Mercury (which makes 192hp stock from the manufacturer) they could deny the claim. Make sure they cover no matter what and should not be given an out. Take the plate off if the ins company wants to play that game. There are too many ins companies that will ins and covet your boat and your motor no matter what that arbitrary plate says.

I would run it with a 150 and be happy forever....

·
Registered
8 Posts
The rating plate for HP or number of people is a mathematical number assigned and is completely unenforceable. Take the plate off if it bothers you this much. No Coast Guard, no law enforcement, no Game Warden etc will be able to enforce anything whatsoever on that plate. You can bolt whatever power plant or power plants you want and have as many people as you have life jackets for till it is sitting on the bottom. If the insurance company asks about it that is your warning that they are looking for an out. For example if the insurance company asks about it and your hull says 175....and you have a 175 Mercury (which makes 192hp stock from the manufacturer) they could deny the claim. Make sure they cover no matter what and should not be given an out. Take the plate off if the ins company wants to play that game. There are too many ins companies that will ins and covet your boat and your motor no matter what that arbitrary plate says.

I would run it with a 150 and be happy forever....
I appreciate the info.

Chuck.

·
'81 Aggie
1,628 Posts
There's a huge difference between writing a policy & taking your money, and paying out a ton of money on a liability claim.

Usually it's on about page 53 of the fine print... And that's what matters. Not what the agent tells you verbally to get you to fork over your money.

I'm not saying you can't get it insured, but make sure it's in writing that you're covered for an overpowered boat.

In some states, it's illegal to overpower a boat. Texas apparently isn't one of them. But imagine taking your baby on vacation to a state where it is illegal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts