2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following is the latest update on my boat issue. The manufacturer (Caralina Skiff/Seachaser) has called me today and informs me that they are sending me a letter explaining how they are going to make the repairs to my boat. Given the situation of the way the hull has come apart I informed them from the start that I would not except repairs on a four month old boat. I feel that I bought a new boat and should not be expected to pay for a remanufactured one.

I have had the owner of the boat dealer ship, the manufacturers rep and two fiberglass shops tell me that the boat was a loss and not to accept repairs. Given the situation at this point I don't feel comfortable even with a new hull not coming apart in the future. That is all I need is to be 60 miles out in the gulf and have issues with a boat coming apart on me, thus putting everyone on the boat in danger.

Does anyone know of a good attorney that has any experience with this type of situation?

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,045 Posts
Much as I know you're going to hate to hear this, I think you really have to give them a chance to make it right before you can expect a new hull. Yes it sucks that you are going to be out of commission for probably the rest of the season while you still have to make payments and yes you probably should get a new hull but until they've made an attempt to fix it and failed, I doubt that you will get one, from any manufacturer.

I would get written statments from everyone that has told you this boat is unrepairable if you can, have the boat surveyed prior to and after any repairs are made and make a decision on how to move forward from there. I think you're going to have to play their game on this one since the warranty says "replace or repair" and the choice is at their option.

I hope that in the end they come through for you. They've taken good care of me whenever I had problems with my 2100CC and my hull is about as solid as they come. I know that doesn't really help you much since yours is not but if you are able to get a new hull, I'd use it without hesitation and enjoy it. Every manufacturer will have a mistake every now and again. These things are still built mostly by hand and the human element is always going to cause imperfections.

I sincerely hope it all works out well for you in the end and that they take care of your problem, either by fixing it or replacing it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fix or Repair

Fix or Repair. Here is where my problem comes in. Do I wait until I am out 60 miles in the gulf and realize that the repairs didn't work. I just have a bad feeling about putting things at risk. As we all know there are plenty of things to go wrong out in the gulf on a normal day much less having these kinds of worrys.

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,045 Posts
I don't disagree with you. That's why I would have it surveyed both before and after.

Like I said, I really hope that the end result is that you're happy with the solution and this doesn't become an ordeal like SaltyBugger (go search for him and Angler on The Hull Truth) went through. I *think* Carolina Skiff is a better company than Angler. I hope I'm right.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
This is what's really nice about these boards. Although I hate to hear anyone having this kind of issue with basically a brand new boat, it is worth a lot more than a "review" that you see in Brand X fishing magazine....usually when it's a review on a boat that is buying ad space in that given magazine. Funny that I can't really remember a bad review in sport fishing....

at any rate, I think there's a lot of value with folks that take the time to share details of customer service (good or bad) that they have with different companies.

Mo, I completely agree with your position on this... you bought a brand new boat....and you should have a brand new boat. If it were me, I would run the safety aspect of this problem as far as I could.

Good luck with these guys

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I would not except repairs either, especially if certified persons say it is a loss. I wouldn't have much confidence even with a new one. I would want them to buy the boat back. Get ready for a long and frustrating battle, hopefully you will come out on top.

·
3,806 Posts
motex said:
I have had the owner of the boat dealer ship, the manufacturers rep and two fiberglass shops tell me that the boat was a loss and not to accept repairs. Given the situation at this point I don't feel comfortable even with a new hull not coming apart in the future. That is all I need is to be 60 miles out in the gulf and have issues with a boat coming apart on me, thus putting everyone on the boat in danger.

Does anyone know of a good attorney that has any experience with this type of situation?
Did you Call your boat Insurance Rep. and make him aware of whats going on?? You need too.

He will likely want to come by and take pictures.

If this problem has made this boat unsafe ( NOT SEA WORTHY ) he will be compelled to condemn the Hull, and the further use of the boat.

This will compel the Mfd. to deal with it. If there is sufficient evidence condemning the future safe use of the boat than you will not be able to get insurance. Ask if ( after the hull is repaired ) will your rate be assigned risk if at all.

If you can't insure, it you can't use it!!!!!

As one who has experienced the sinking of a boat I will advise you...

Don't take the chance!!!!!!!

BE SMART !

BE SAFE !!

LET'S GO FISHING !!!

MB

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Hold their feet to the fire for a new boat. Use the term unacceptable a lot. There is not a good reply for unacceptable. Use an lawyer. Just a consult with one and a letter from his office will usually get people moving the right direction. Dig in and make them treat you right.
If it is well documented then they won't have much of a choice. Also give them a dead line. Respond accordingly by such date and deliver new ready to use boat by said date or face legal action.
If it was just stress cracks or a blemish in the gelcoat, no big deal let them fix it. Delamination is a much bigger issue. Boat builders tend to drag these things out while you are making payments on the mortgage and insurance hoping you will give up. I have actually had a builder tell me they do this while we went to visit the distressed owner of a fairly new boat. He wanted them to just buy it back. Didn't happen. They bought it back as the trade in on a larger more expensive boat.

·
Banned
89 Posts
I had a similar experience with a brand new 1995 ProLine 295 a few years back, I prepared a demand letter and it was all resolved to my satisfaction (it helps that I am a commercial/consumer dispute trial attorney in Houston). Give me a call at (832) 620-5408 if you think I can help you get what youare entitled to for this seriously and fundamentally defective condition rendering the vessel unseaworthy (it helped I had a survey report reaching these conclusions and could oprobably arrange one for you depending on the facts).
Marc G.
832-620-5408

1 - 9 of 9 Posts