2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
British Slave dropped two big chunks of mesquite at the house a few weeks ago for me to turn on the lathe. These are old, dry and HARD stumps that had seen a lot of history. I think he said they came from Gonzales, TX. This vessel is right at 11 inches tall and 7 inches at the widest point. The wood had several cracks and fissures running through it which made turning it fairly difficult. It also looked like it had experienced a fire at one time because of some charring. You have to stay 'focused' and be prepared because these projects can come apart while they are spinning. I still need to do the final sanding and waxing before British Slave picks it up. Hope you you enjoy it!!
galvbay

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,076 Posts
Very cool GB! The kids just bought me a chuck for fathers day so I can start playing around with bowl turning, we'll see what happens. ;)

Jeff

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Very nice work!

I know a man that recently moved out of San Antonio that has made mesquite bowls / etc... for years but I believe he is getting out of the business. Is mesquite the primary wood you work with? If so do you need some mesquite wood? I may have some you could come to SA and remove for me!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I still have folks thanking me for those bottle stoppers you made me for Christmas. Congratulations on your latest work!

·
Banned
2,193 Posts
All I can say is WOW! The little bride hasn't even seen it and she is already crying. May have something to do with me telling her she would have to wait till Christmas to see it. Of course I did tell her how it looked. Outstanding work! Or as my old Ag teacher would say...stemwinding good!

·
Registered
466 Posts
gb that is fantastic!! I have no idea how you managed to turn that wood and not have it chip or shatter with all of the voids in it . . . esp in the neck area!!!!!

That really turned out to be a beautifull piece of work!

Aggie91

·
Texas Lady Angler
2,410 Posts
Wow, that is very pretty. I just love wood with character. My 15 year old son wants to start going to the local woodturning club. He hasn't turned much but is very interested. We have a big lathe and a small lathe and just need to get him out and going on it.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow....thanks for all of those compliments! I do enjoy working on the lathe....unlike other woodworking machinery, you can start and finish a project using only one machine. There is so much more open creativity allowed on the lathe than other machines too. No straight lines to follow...LOL. Best thing about mesquite...it's always available and you can't beat the price!
Brew...what kind of chuck did you get???
Hooked...better get that thing plugged in and make some chips!
Bubbaette....have your son check out the Gulf Coast Woodturners. They meet once a month around the Houston area.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nice bowl. About twenty years ago I was turning mesquite lamps and candle holders. At one point I had four lathes going two shifts. I made a machine that turned the logs into a 7 inch diameter before it hit the duplicating lathes. Most of the mesquite I bought came out from the clearing of the Three Rivers Lake area. I was using two cords a day for a couple of years. I still use mesquite for furniture and fine cabinetry. It still is one of my favorite woods.

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
I have several GB originals, and I get a lot of compliments from my artsy fartsy friends. The guy does great work.

Hey GB! When are you and Miss K going to bring the yaks down to JB? C and I were talking about you two yesterday and there are big fish in the lights.

·
2Cool Sponsor
1,166 Posts
Wow, very beautiful GB!

I want to get my dad a heavily burled mesquite block, any suggestions in the D/FW area?

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ragman...we were up at Possum Kingdom StPrk early in the Spring and found this place by accident. There is a HUGE mesquite furniture shop/store on 281 south of I-20. This place had more milled mesquite than anyother place I've run across. BIG sawmill operation going. Might give them a call. galvbay
http://www.txhcountry.com/

1 - 20 of 28 Posts