2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Old School 2cool
8,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As long as I have been on 2cool I have never figured out how y'all put pictures / images in the "text" box. I only know how to post them as an attachment with the little camera icon. Can someone explain this to me please?

My second question has to do with my learning curve here in the photography forum. I really appreciate all of the feedback y'all have offered me since I joined this forum. I posted a picture of a dog that I was trying to find a home for. The owner had died and I didn't want to see this animal put down. I got a lot of compliments on that photo. A lot, and I dont understand why. When I have been told what I could do better on a shot I was able to understand and change the way I was doing those kind of photos. I would like to post this shot and have y'all tell me what is "right" about it. If it was indeed a nice photo I need to know what I did right? Thanks, Guy

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
first off he needs a bath, now ya need to darken it a bit with some contast ( well for me any way)

are you talking about the attach on top of the message

or the one below in the "advanced message" where it says "manage attachments" that you can upload from your own computer ?

·
A Wild Kiwi fern
3,772 Posts
first off, my 2 cents on the good stuff in this photo.

1. it is in focus. the clarity of hair and whiskers is great.

2. the dog's head is the main subject and it is off centre in the photo and being off centre creates interest.

3. it is taken almost level with the dog i.e. not way above him thus turning it into just another snapshot of a pet.

4. with the background blurred, it brings the face sharply prominent, and the background actually enhances the foreground.

5. three - this is a good number to 'subconsciously' add interest to a photo. here, i see three as in the colour red... the leash, the tongue, the pink around the jaw, OR, the leash, the mouth, the slight pinks in the background if you use a straight line joining the leash and mouth... go beyond to the background and you pick up pink there.

6. the colours are good. the background is more muted which allows the fairly light colouring on the dog to come forward better.

7. there is interest in the collar.

8. the dog is not looking directly at you, but at something else that has piqued his interest - that adds interest for me, wondering what holds his attention.

okay. how's that so far? :)

by the way, i think it's a beautiful photo and if possible, would be a wonderful gift for the new owner to frame and hang. :)

as for putting the photos up in the forum.

i use a website called photobucket.com
i registered with them (it is free).
i take a photo,
resize it on my desktop using (photoresizer - another freebie from online)
then add it into photobucket
i copy a link photobucket gives me for each photo and then
i paste it into the reply box.

it's so simple. if you need more indepth instructions, i'll send you a click by click list okay? putting the photos offsite means that Mont doesn't have lots of images stored on his site.

hope all this helps.

rosesm

·
Old School 2cool
8,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
by the way, i think it's a beautiful photo and if possible, would be a wonderful gift for the new owner to frame and hang. :)
Thanks! This is really getting fun. The idea about giving the pic to the new owner is right on cue. This dog recently lost his Master and the new owner recently lost her husband. I think I'll do that. Guy

·
Galbayfisher
624 Posts
Good things

1) Composition great. Dog's head postioned and shot taken at his eye level and just enough of the dog in the shot
2) Subject is sharp and in focus and aided by small depth of field behind subject making the background out of focus. All emphasis on subject
3) Lack of many colors. The stronger colors are located on the dog drawing your eyes toward him. Some of the great shots only have 2-3 colors at most.

given the concentration of the red in the mouth, your eyes are immediately attracted to the subject. However, that red leash becomes a distraction and draws your eyes away from him IMHO and you do want all your attention on the dog. Try erasing that leash and see if that improves the shot (Photoshop, etc.)

The big thing about pics is how well it's received by your eyes. You know a good photo when You SEE it. It's pleasing and the lines or lights allow your eyes to follow or center in ways we normally see. For instance, we read from left to right. Pictures that have lines, color or action that move in that direction is pleasing. Also, we view from lower or upper left diagonally to the other side.

Just my two cents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts