2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were fishing for snapper at a rig last Monday and after an hour fight with a 30 S Penn w/30lb mono, pulled up a moray eel. It was released. The next day, using the same equipment, a stinging sensation was felt on the arms and hands. Can anyone tell us if the stinging was related to the eel? Could there have been a toxin on the line or liter left from the day before? Also, are eel eatable?

·
Registered
238 Posts
If it was a moray the only danger is their teeth. They don't let go once they bite. I don't know what kind of eels are in the gulf so I don't know if something else could have caused the problem but we had a lot of contact with Morays while diving in California.

Gary

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Moral eels

Moray eels (if this was the type of fish you caught) are not poisonous although you can get an infection if they bite you due to the bacteria in their mouth. They are not edible. It is more likely that you came in contact with a jelly fish.

Mike

·
Yep...
752 Posts
American eels are edible, don't know about morays.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Moray eels can be toxic to eat (ciguatera poisoning)

Otherwise, I don't think they're poisonous to touch. Their bite can be bad - lots of bacteria in their teeth, but I don't think the bite is poisonous either.

·
Dick - 1972 Formula 223
830 Posts
It's also more likely it was a Mud Eel rather than a Moray. People may eat them in some parts of the world, but I've never personally heard of anyone eating them.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Doubt it was the Moray but it could have been a jelly fish. Sometimes when fishing if I am down-wind or next to someone reeling up a line, I have noticed a thin film of jelly fish being brought up and stinging me. Also, i jumped into the water at Stetson about a month ago and also got stung by something in the water (didn't have a wet suit). Some sort of Jelly fish is what I think caused the stinging sensation.

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
I'm not sure what knid or type of jelly fish it is, but I have come in contact with some a few times that looks like a long hair. I have seen it a few times this year, but normally only see it once if at all during a fishing season. It does sting like crazy, jumped in one night out at Boomvang to cool off after a nice YFT fight....when I got out of the water, it was looped across both of my arms. It stung for a while. Last weekend I bit some line into that must have had some on the line from the weekend before....felt like I'd been eating hot crawfish...without the yummy taste. I remember warning one of our fishermen the weekend before not to mess with the "hair' on his leader.

Anyway, if you've never seen it you most likely won't notice it until you feel the stinging. Pretty mean stuff!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
American eel

After looking on Wikipedia it was an American eel. Mono was wrapped around itself several times I guess is why it was difficult (or fun) to bring up.

Thank you for the insight on what could have been stinging. Makes sense.

·
Higher Ed Honk
1,320 Posts
Coug speaks the truth--I had the same thing happen at Surfside with little bits o' jellyfish on my line.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
fish

Probably had some gel from a Portegal Man of War[sp]. We've trolled thru many and when you guide the line you get burned.
Terry

·
I don't Exaggerate I just rememeber BIG!
234 Posts
Captn C said:
I'm not sure what knid or type of jelly fish it is, but I have come in contact with some a few times that looks like a long hair. I have seen it a few times this year, but normally only see it once if at all during a fishing season. It does sting like crazy, jumped in one night out at Boomvang to cool off after a nice YFT fight....when I got out of the water, it was looped across both of my arms. It stung for a while. Last weekend I bit some line into that must have had some on the line from the weekend before....felt like I'd been eating hot crawfish...without the yummy taste. I remember warning one of our fishermen the weekend before not to mess with the "hair' on his leader.

Anyway, if you've never seen it you most likely won't notice it until you feel the stinging. Pretty mean stuff!
These are called "Sea Wasps" and I have encountered them before while diving and fishing. One got attached to the fishing line this past weekend. They are nearly invisible to see and hang out right on the surface and their tenticle hang down with stingers. on each one. They leave a pretty good welt across your arms if you get in them!

Dan

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Definetly jellyfish. Probobly one of those little ones that are just under the surface.

Been stung a couple of time while reeling up the tow line on my boat. NOw i put on gloves when I can.

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
Sounds like he said the next day he was out fishing again and felt a sting/shock. Maybe he hooked another eel. Like it went up the line and through the reel into his hands and arms. Don't think he meant from touching it. That's the way I read it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was from touching the line. Sounds correct about the "man-of-war" or simular.

Thanks 2 Cool

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
whatever is is, it sucks when a big fish is charging the boat and you are reeling like crazy, the stuff follows up to the reel and spins off the back of the spool right into your face..
not fun, funny (if its not you) but not fun..
a

1 - 16 of 16 Posts