2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Charter Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Sylvan Beach boat ramp this evening, setup my camera under the gazebo and waited for the moon to come up. Lo and behold it popped up right behind the rig that is out along the Houston Ship Channel. It was hazy and then cloudy so my conditions weren't the greatest. I was straining my eyes trying to determine if what I was seeing was the first glimpse of the moon coming up behind the rig. I had been there since before dark so I thought I was seeing things.

Sorry for the blurry shot. It was shot with the Sigma 50-500mm at 500mm, 20 seconds at f/8, ISO 400. The moon was on the rise and the rig must be floating because the camera was mounted on a steady tripod and I fired it with a wireless remote. Guess I'll just have to work on these shots some more another time. For about 10 minutes it was fast and furious as I changed exposures, zoom length, composition, manual to auto focus, etc. in the dark using a small flashlight. Actually, these are the two best shots of the evening.

Arlon, I'm amazed at the sharpness and clarity you get in your moon shots. Maybe I just can't focus any more! :(

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
2 Cool, Mike.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
2 cents

Mike,

I think you'll find that the blur is result of the earth's rotation on a narrow field of view. That's why you don't have the distortion in the upper left and lower ight sides of the moon. 20 secs in my experience at that focal length has created simliar results. What was the shutter speed on #2?

·
Charter Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shutterspeed on pic #2 was .8 sec. @ f/8. That was after the moon had been up for about 20 minutes. Thanks for the note.
Also, there was a breeze, so it may have created a little camera movement.
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts