2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Back in da Saddle
10,140 Posts
30 yards of mono for a backer and then as much 80 pound power pro you can afford and finish with a mono top shot of say between 30-100 yards in the 50 pound range!!!...

John

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I take it to bass pro and tell them that will they rig me up or will I have to do it myself?

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
I am sure they would do it but it will cost you alot more. Just buy it and do it, it is easier than you think to splice together.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the first offshore reel I have purchased. I'm not quite sure how to splice the line and is it easy keeping the spool even doing it yourself?

·
Back in da Saddle
10,140 Posts
Buy the reel at Bass pro and take it to Cute Rate ...they will help you but get ready to open your wallet!!! unless you buy your braid online and do it your self !!!
Better still buy from someone like ChartBait.com and they will spool it cheaper!!!
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrs.htm

John

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Bass pro can do it

Bought a 113hlw at Bass Pro and they spooled it up for me. They will spool with their mono for free if you buy the reel there. I wanted Power Pro on it so I bought a 300 yard spool of 65# PP, had BP put on 50 yards of 40#mono, then the PP, then filled the spool the rest of the way, 250 yds+ with 40# mono. Everything was attached with an Improved Albright. Haven't had a problem yet and it has seen heavy surf and offshore work the entire year. Have had to replace the mono topshot a couple times but shark fishing the beach will do that to you. Once you learn the Albright, it is pretty easy to tie.

Go to www.leadertec.com and search for the Improved Albright knot or just google it and get lots of examples.

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
I've heard that Cut Rate will honor those cupons from BPS..
can anyone verify that?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Tld 30

I have several TLD 30's and run 50# suffix on them and find the set-up quite serviceable for routine offshore trolling to tuna chunking. The reason for going to braid would be to significantly increase line capacity. 80# braid would work great but remember that 80# braid has the diameter of 20-25 # mono. Its going to take a lot of expensive braid to fill the reel. Does your anticipated quarry require maximum capacity? Start simple. Mono is fine for most fishing and it is really cheap to replace. I cut off 10 yards after every trip to remove nicks on the line and respool several times a season. I'm not knocking braid because I use it for snapper fishing and think the increased sensitivity and low stretch really helps.

If you go the braid route an underlayer of mono is required because braid is slick and will not properly adhere to the spool when you run a lot of drag. 30 yards of mono under the braid prevents this problem. Attachment of mono to braid with a double uni knot works nicely and is simple to tie. A top shot allows some give to a braid setup and may be useful with a very large or acrobatic fish. If I spooled one of my 30's with braid 80# would be my first choice. I'd spool if full and skip the top shot opting for a long flourocarbon leader when after fish that were leader shy like tuna.

By the way how much do you save by buying a reel at one location and taking it somewhere else to be spooled? Most of my tackle was purchased at Cut Rate on IH10. There prices are competitive, they usually give you a break on the line when you purchase the reel from them, and when something breaks (in my experience) they will do whatever they can to assist the customer.

Good fishing

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
I am the same as bill. I use 50lb braid on my spinning reels and my 9/0s for surf fishing. All my boat rods have mono because I have found that the braid will rip some lips and fingers when you have a hard hit or a fast run. If you keep braid on your trolling outfit you need a 100yd topshot or shock leader to prevent the ripped lips problem and be careful with the fingers because the braid cuts really fast.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much more life do you get out of the braid? If you have to respool several times a year with mono is it still more cost effective?

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
I have had no problems with the braid on my 9/0s in 2 years. But I top shot the 600 yrds of 100lb braid with about 50-100 yards of 50-80lb mono depending on the situation. My 7500ss reels have 300yrds of 50lb braid with 150yd of 20lb mono on top. This way I have very little fray on my braid but I change the mono about twice a year for topshot. I have had a spool of braid sitting in my garage for 3 years and it is still strong. I test it ever so often with dumb bells. The braid seems to last a long time. There is a powder coat on it that will wear off after a few uses but the line is still good without it. The company states this clearly in the manual as well as knots to use when splicing to different lines.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
Yeah, I have used it for surf fishing, that is mainly why I have the power pro on it, for line capacity. I have a 10' pole and 12' pole that I use for surf fishing with these reels now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts