2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fished the Mission River within a few miles above Mission Bay lately?
I just discovered the Mission R last winter during the black drum run. Caught lots of fish on it but found that best time was always after 3:00 pm. Lots of fun watching the huge aligators jump off the banks when they see you coming.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mission river feeding into Mission Lake, which is at the head of Copano Bay. Lots of gators along the river banks. You can access the Mission from Mission lake. It's a narrow passage . You MUST stay to the right upon entering the river. A nasty shoal is on the left side of the entrance.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I have fished Mission Bay a few times but never Mission River or Mission Lake. I live across the bay in Copano Cove.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took me living in Aransas Pass 5 years to discover the Mission River. It is now one of my favorite places to fish. It's a nice boat ride upriver. It ends in Refugio. Coleto Creek runs into it upriver.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, It's Mission Bay that the river feeds into. I call it Mission Lake but I believe that is incorrect. It's been a while since I've looked at a map of the area. I'll check it out and make any corrections asap.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another correction. Medio creek runs into it, no Coleto creek.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A Texas history lesson regarding the Mission River
Wikipedia
The Mission River is a river in Texas. It is formed by the confluence of Blanco and Medio creeks in central Refugio County (at 28°19' N, 97°19' W) and runs southeast, past Refugio, for twenty-four miles to its mouth on Mission Bay, an inlet of Copano Bay (at 28°10' N, 97°10' W). It traverses gently undulating coastal prairies surfaced by clay and loam and spotted by groves of hardwoods and pines. It is home to myriad waterfowl and native slough grasses. History

In 1795 Spanish friars relocated Nuestra Señora del Refugio Mission from a site near the junction of the Guadalupe River and San Antonio Rivers to the banks of the Mission River, a move that probably gave the river its name.

On March 14, 1836, during the Texas Revolution, a detachment of Texans under Amon Butler King took a defensive position in one of the groves along the riverbank and repulsed repeated attacks of Mexican General José de Urrea's troops during the Battle of Refugio.

Because the day's fighting nearly exhausted their supplies of gunpowder, King ordered his men to escape that night by swimming across the Mission River; they thus wetted the little powder that remained. The next day a party of Urrea's men overtook and captured King and his troops. The Texans were returned to the mission, where they were executed on March 16. References

1 - 9 of 9 Posts