2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I arrived last Saturday to the beach before sunrise and hoped to get in a long kayak trip offshore. The surf forecast called for 3.1 feet, and that was an acceptable challenge if some fish could be caught beyond the surf. As I loaded gear into the boat it was obvious that the surf was a bit larger than I had been lead to believe, but I was still going to give it a shot. Since this kayak has space to stow all the rods inside the hull and the fish finder is waterproof, the only danger was losing my glasses or breaking the kayak if things went really sideways. Three other kayakers down the beach tried to get out, and at the second bar they were forced to turn back. By that point there was nothing left to load, so I stowed my hat and glasses inside the hull, did a few pushups and stretches and summoned up some courage.

The second bar didn't offer any challenges, but that was probably just lucky timing. The third, less friendly sandbar had been patiently waiting for me to arrive. This is where I met the larger set of swells rolling in, and as I crossed the bar the long nose of the kayak poked through the big approaching wave, but the rest of the crashing wave was coming in aligned to hit me square in the face. The yak was moving fast enough that I hoped it would maintain forward momentum, and in the split second that the foam was swallowing the kayak, it occurred to me that the impact might shove me right out of the boat. The hit was impressively hard to my chest, but I stayed planted in the seat and was quickly through. I immediately paddled hard to keep from repeating the performance at that spot - Once was enough. I relaxed a bit and thought I had made it through the worst of it. Waves rarely break at that fourth bar way out there ...right? Well, I got lucky and met the next set of large swells right at the fourth bar. There was no time to turn around as the wave rose up in front of me, so I pulled hard on the paddle to keep up my speed and the nose of the boat pointed skyward up the wave face. As the wave began to break I thought "this is probably going to be bad", but I kept paddling until the foam got to me. Surprisingly the foam head wasn't thick enough to swallow me, and it only made it as far up as my PFD. Instantly I was through, and I hit the gas to get out of that spot. Once through it was very bumpy, with 5' sets coming through once or twice every minute. Otherwise it was a 3' day, and I trudged on into the wind towards my target oil platforms. The day slowly improved, and by the time I ran the surf for the second time, it was easy and non-dramatic.

Oh, and the fish were willing to play along out at the rigs, so it was a good day.

http://youtu.be/XyxWcGWG6DY

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mannnn you must be really mad at'm to go offshore in a kayak with basically a tropical storm forming off Galveston. Reminds me of the movie castaway and timing the breaks in waves.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mannnn you must be really mad at'm to go offshore in a kayak with basically a tropical storm forming off Galveston. Reminds me of the movie castaway and timing the breaks in waves.
This was last Saturday before the tropical storm business. I just had to navigate the surf to get into my playground.

·
Registered
390 Posts
"so I stowed my hat and glasses inside the hull, did a few pushups and stretches and summoned up some courage." Love it! :) Would have love to seen the video going out. Way to stick it out and thanks for posting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I arrived last Saturday to the beach before sunrise and hoped to get in a long kayak trip offshore. The surf forecast called for 3.1 feet, and that was an acceptable challenge if some fish could be caught beyond the surf. As I loaded gear into the boat it was obvious that the surf was a bit larger than I had been lead to believe, but I was still going to give it a shot. Since this kayak has space to stow all the rods inside the hull and the fish finder is waterproof, the only danger was losing my glasses or breaking the kayak if things went really sideways. Three other kayakers down the beach tried to get out, and at the second bar they were forced to turn back. By that point there was nothing left to load, so I stowed my hat and glasses inside the hull, did a few pushups and stretches and summoned up some courage.

The second bar didn't offer any challenges, but that was probably just lucky timing. The third, less friendly sandbar had been patiently waiting for me to arrive. This is where I met the larger set of swells rolling in, and as I crossed the bar the long nose of the kayak poked through the big approaching wave, but the rest of the crashing wave was coming in aligned to hit me square in the face. The yak was moving fast enough that I hoped it would maintain forward momentum, and in the split second that the foam was swallowing the kayak, it occurred to me that the impact might shove me right out of the boat. The hit was impressively hard to my chest, but I stayed planted in the seat and was quickly through. I immediately paddled hard to keep from repeating the performance at that spot - Once was enough. I relaxed a bit and thought I had made it through the worst of it. Waves rarely break at that fourth bar way out there ...right? Well, I got lucky and met the next set of large swells right at the fourth bar. There was no time to turn around as the wave rose up in front of me, so I pulled hard on the paddle to keep up my speed and the nose of the boat pointed skyward up the wave face. As the wave began to break I thought "this is probably going to be bad", but I kept paddling until the foam got to me. Surprisingly the foam head wasn't thick enough to swallow me, and it only made it as far up as my PFD. Instantly I was through, and I hit the gas to get out of that spot. Once through it was very bumpy, with 5' sets coming through once or twice every minute. Otherwise it was a 3' day, and I trudged on into the wind towards my target oil platforms. The day slowly improved, and by the time I ran the surf for the second time, it was easy and non-dramatic.

Oh, and the fish were willing to play along out at the rigs, so it was a good day.

http://youtu.be/XyxWcGWG6DY

Very nice video. looks like you have every thing on board tied down to maintain them in boat or "near by "

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nice work, you guys are really mad at them. i go to the gym for my workout and go fishing to relax.
Not mad at the fish, but I do enjoy an adventure. Worst case would be not getting through the surf and having to do something else for the morning. Best case was getting through and catching fish while making memories.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts