2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got all this wiring figgered out on my M18. Speedo set up, batteries are cycling now, motor broken in, just a couple of things left to do, and the

" Biff Mobile "

will be ready to race! :D Look out Trey! :slimer:

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trey, you use a Quasar right? What settings are you using? Especially the cut off for charging.

Well, the car is allmost ready. The M18 is uncharted water for me and was a little tough getting wired up. Not alot of room. LOL Took my first test spin and now realize the diffs are way too loose. I got alot done in the last two days, Ill deal with that tomarrow. :D

·
www.mobilityplustx.com
1,950 Posts
Charge rate anywhere from 2 to 4 amps depending. The lowest peak detect there is, 3 mv I think it is. 5 cell setting of course and what ever your capacity is 1100 to 1400. Discharge at maybe 2 amps or a little less.

·
Registered
966 Posts
0.9 volts per cell is a good cut-off voltage for 2/3a NIMH cells. You can go down to 0.8 or even 0.7 if you want to squeeze some more run-time out of them, but it will reduce battery life. I alway discharge at a higher amp than I charge. I usually charge at 1C, and discharge at 2C. So for 1100mah cells I charge at 1.1 amps, and discharge at 2.2 amps. Sometimes if I am in a hurry I will up it to a 1.5C rate for charging and a 3C rate for dis-charging, but I alway keep the rate proportionate to the way I cycle my packs. Using a higher discharge rate will increase the power output of the cells, but decrease run time. I know alot of people like to run higher amps when charging and dis-charging, but I find that even hi-performance batteries tend to overheat at higher amps. I use 6mv per cell peak sensitivity.

That's how I do it.:biggrin:

·
www.mobilityplustx.com
1,950 Posts
The batts we,re using seem to take the higher charge rates just fine. Its not like we're burning up an 80 dollar race pack if they do cook!!! Thank goodness:)

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Christian said 5 1/2 amps for charging. I think thats too much for budget racers who wanna save their batteries for a long time. They warmed up quick. LOL

·
Registered
148 Posts
Been charging @ 5.5 amps for 3 months and batteries still have great runtime and voltage. They get warm, but not any more than sub-c type cells. They only use up about 300mah in a 5 min race so charging them up (I never discharge nimh) takes only a few min. Still haven't cooked one yet. They get crappy if you run them more than twice in a day a couple of times and the batteries go bad...

·
Registered
169 Posts
That is true I guess, since you are not doing a full charge you are not going to hurt them at all.

Check out the new link at: www.funtasticaltoys.com/hobby.htm Since Trey does not have a logo, I used the track picture! I guess I will work on a logo for you guys, any ideas for it? I can use the black mini-z shadow F360 that I used to have on my forum. Might still be at www.funtasticaltoys.com/RCBB/index.php
Have not looked lately, doh!

Edited: I forgot my forum web site addy, been corrected.

·
www.mobilityplustx.com
1,950 Posts
Thanks man, I still need to sit down long enough to build the links page on my site. I,ve never been to worried about a logo but let me see what you come up with. I do have the t shirt logo I suppose could be it?

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CristianTabush said:
Been charging @ 5.5 amps for 3 months and batteries still have great runtime and voltage. They get warm, but not any more than sub-c type cells. They only use up about 300mah in a 5 min race so charging them up (I never discharge nimh) takes only a few min. Still haven't cooked one yet. They get crappy if you run them more than twice in a day a couple of times and the batteries go bad...
Probably because your charging them at too high a rate bro! Theres no reason why you shouldnt be able to run NMHs over and over without a problem providing they cool completly and the molecules have stopped chinga-laring-ing. LOL

I aint working tomarrow, Ill be there early.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CristianTabush said:
they are not crapping out, the next time- they are back to normal...
I only built 4 packs Christian. Most likely Ill run them all at least 3 times tomarrow. However, I also picked up 24 cells for my plane that I havent built yet. Question is, should I start building those packs up now?

Edit: I speeled your name wrong, sorry.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im very happy with the cars first showing. LOL I wish the dreaded glitch bug didnt hit me in the main. I had clean line into 3rd behind Christian and Bryan on the start. Its gotta be the Hitec receiver.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Hey guys, what Penguin chassis model are yall using? The only thing I can seem to find is the 7500. Battery slots on both sides.

Edit: This might sound crazy, but Im thinking of having 1-2 cells on the motor side, the rest on the other side of the chassis, and then put the electronics where needed to "Balance" the car out!!!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.