2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am refurbing an 18ft Kenner, 1995 and am looking to replace the trolling motor and want some opinions on brands.
What I know I want:
1: Bow Mount
2: 70 - 80 Pound thrust
3: Hand till, no foot or remote control I am too hard on equipment.

Any Thoughts on the best to go with...

·
Banned
2,534 Posts
I just replaced my original MG bought in 1998.

The motor seized this past September while fishing for a week in Port A area. Prior to that it never hesitated to work, as new. My new MG had a problem in my first day of use, (it would not turn off, without being unplugged, after being used a while) and in taking it back to the seller (South Texas Trolling Motors) they replaced the entire head, due to a recall by MG. The new unit has digital controls and has a much bigger SS shaft. I think it's 80# thrust and I really like the improvements from the older one I had. I recommend the new MG highly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i've got a minn kota 70lb that never fails. it's a rare occasion that i don't run it into a trailer guide or pier while loading the boat. i've even hit a pvc guide pole at speed. plenty power for my 19' tunnel-v.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I have MG 71 lbs going on 3 years. Have gone through a couple of shear pins and circuit breakers because I tear through them getting the motor stuck in the mud and shells. However the motor stil runs flawless.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Aknott

I use Motorguide because of the stainless steel shaft. MinnKota uses a fiberglass shaft. The fiberglass shaft would typically be better, IMO, but the shaft can and will break, leaving you stranded on the fishing trip. The stainless steel shaft on a Motorguide will bend , but you can usually use it or straighten it out enough to "get by" until you have the time to fix it.

The stainless shaft will also corrode in the foot housing of the trolling motor, making repairs a little harder, but hey.

I think that the motors are better in the MinnKotas, but the warranty on the motorguides are better. You can't go wrong with either.

baynick

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
My freshwater MG 2002 67 thrust 24 volt Brute is always in salt. Works great still. Bent the shaft once, and had to take it in, also had to have the swivel bearing replaced and packed with grease. When this one goes, I will get a hand tiller on a saltwater model and probably stick with motor guide. The foot pedal system is for the birds in the salt. Messing around trolling around the jetty rocks you need reliability.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Minn Kota is by far superior to MG. Just ask the nearly every guide in Florida if MG isn't paying for it they aren't running it. Not saying MG is junk I have one put it through it's paces and it ends up in the shop regularly. I wouldn't give you a wooden nickel for another one but it gets the job done.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i think to tell the truth on minn kota or motor guide you need to talk to some one whom as had both trolling motors on a majek redfishline! i curently have a motor guide and have had to repair it 3 times already and i am now looking at minn kota. my rfl beats up a trolling motor like no other boat thats why i say that . if a tolling motor can servive a rfl on a ruff day then it is worth having!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Trolling Motors

I am refurbing an 18ft Kenner, 1995 and am looking to replace the trolling motor and want some opinions on brands.
What I know I want:
1: Bow Mount
2: 70 - 80 Pound thrust
3: Hand till, no foot or remote control I am too hard on equipment.

Any Thoughts on the best to go with...
I have a bow mounted Motor Guide Great White Wireless, I love the wireless, but it has been in the shop 4 times for the "Transmission". As soon as it goes out of warranty I gonna junk it and get me a Minn Kota Wireless....
So IMO spend the Extra and buy the Best!!!!

·
Banned
2,734 Posts
In 2 yrs I've rplaced the plastic head on my MG twice :( Minn Kota for me on my next one.The innerds on the MG are plastic and wear out to easy in my opinion.I went over to Gulf Coast Trolling Motor and had them show me the innerds of the Minn Kota.....metal head vs plastic head....Minn Kota is next on my list :)

·
Live to fish, work to live
2,330 Posts
i think to tell the truth on minn kota or motor guide you need to talk to some one whom as had both trolling motors on a majek redfishline! i curently have a motor guide and have had to repair it 3 times already and i am now looking at minn kota. my rfl beats up a trolling motor like no other boat thats why i say that . if a tolling motor can servive a rfl on a ruff day then it is worth having!
I 2nd this opinion

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for all the input

It looks like Min Kota is the winner...
I have also spoken to a service tech that works on both and he suggests the min kota for reliability as well as the fact that they are cheaper to fix if something does go wrong.
The boat is out of the shop as of Today, the Outboard is running fine now, so I guess it is off to the trolling motor store this weekend.

Next shootout will be fishfinders....

Thanks again for all the great information.

·
2006 NewWater IBIS w/ F150 TRP
282 Posts
We currently own a Minn Kota bow mount (I forget the model # but it is only a couple of months old). Let me just say Minn Kotas are not without fault either. Ours failed (mechanically) on the second trip out.

I will say that Minn Kota's warranty department was great. They handled the repair quickly and without much hassle.

Also, we have the one with the co-pilot / autopilot. Gotta get that.....works great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts