2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
I have one on my boat (1996 with 300 hours) and have had no issues thus far.

·
Registered
287 Posts
200 Mercs

Had 2 on a big Proline. Lost a stator coil on one. Warranty replaced the power head on the other. Never were sure what caused that, but we ran em pretty hard. Steering arm got pretty rusty on them, keep em covered in corrosion X green.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had 2 on a big Proline...Steering arm got pretty rusty on them, keep em covered in corrosion X green.
I finally had the chance to look over the motors in person...

Hydra Man - you nailed this one! The motors looked and sounded great, but the steering arm looked rough to me:

Is this common/acceptable/ect?

The steering arm was corroded to the point where I couldn't tell how it attaches to the rest of the motor. How involved is it to replace the steering arm on a large outboard?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I have worked on several of these engines, Most problems I have is Stator, Not cheap some aftermarket, and CDM'S , the coil going out. They have a 60-80 ? amp belt driven charing system, the alts are not cheap!! these are Mercs early ECU controled engine. Some have one ,some have 2 ecu on the back of the exhaust cover depending on the year, If DTS i believe is mercs onboard dionastics, it's a lot harder to trouble shoot and have to have the mecr set up to check the engine problems, the older system you can use a DVA and ohm meter to check them.
Most turned 6000 and power head , lower unit held up pretty good.
Yes the efi motors were better on fuel, than the carbs.

The Cables, harness's, power head, lower unit come off first, shift shaft, then the exhaust adapter, then the upper and lower motor mount bolts, to get the retaining ring and bottom yoke, to get the sterring arm if not too much to get apart, with parts clean up to firing it up after to check every thing about 5-7 hrs labor, per engine, parts App $300 if no motor mounts or mount bolts needed. I'm waiting on Merc to shart shiping parts, after the holiday shut down to do one in the next week.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Waverider
if u decide to get it and fix i have a like new 25 inch mid that will fit it laying around slap the PH on it and go! I have a box of parts that will fit it also.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the good detailed info on this! I appreciate it!

I wasn't real clear in the earlier post, but the boat in question is setup with twins. The steering arms on both motors look the same...they are in rough shape.

It sounds like $2-3K to get this issue resolved.

Cheers,

tp

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
Merc did not start using stainless steel on their steering arms and tilt tubes until the 1997 models when the Optimaxes first came out. Even then, it was only on the offshore/bluewater series of motors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts