2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Mice every where this year

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  swtmike 
#1 ·
Last year we had broom weed that was as high as the hood on my excurrision. Our place in the panhandle was covered up in broom weed and high grass last year. Now we are seeing mice all over the place. I mean thousands of them. They are in our trailer and all over the ground. I have never seen so many mice.

I guess do to the high weeds that the owls and hawks and coyotes had a hard time finding the mice last year and the reproduction was so high this year that they are everywhere.

Anyone else like this?

#3 ·
Mow the grass down around camp and put out some traps or poison (but be careful if you have dogs there). Mice like it dark so I used to leave a light on in my trailer. Better if you keep the camp area clear of spilled corn also.

You do not want the snakes following the mice into camp.

#5 ·
Get rid of all the grass withing at least a 15ft radius of your trailer. Get it down to where it is nothing but dirt. Mice are more hesitant to cross an open area for fear of snakes, Owls, Roadrunners, etc. We also set lots of traps. Last but not least go to your local hardware store and get a poision called DEMON. It comes in one large soft packet with 4 smaller packets inside the larger one. The directions say use 1 packet per 1 gallon of water......I use 2 packets per 1 gallon of water. Spray around your trailer every time you leave the lease. You wont have a bug for miles. I think it deters the most of the mice as well. It is about $20 but it is well worth it.

#6 ·
Hunting in San Saba. Absoltuly covered in mice/rats. I've rarely seen a mouse in camp - two weekends ago saw several. The big surprise was when I was sitting in my bow stand. Looking down I could see the little boogers running to and from the feeder under the thick broomweed.

#9 ·
We have been putting out those poison bricks, 4 bars about 8 inches long in a packet, at a rate of about 3 per weekend for the past month and a half. And everytime we go out they're all gone. I thought it would have stopped a couple weeks back but I guess there are a few more than I thought. Makes me wonder if I need to up it to 5+ per weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.