2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy,
I'm on the way back to Houston after fishing the Mississippi Gulf Coast Billfish Classic this weekend aboard the matagorda boat Mattiduke (54' Bertram) - great boat, owner, and crew. We went out to an area that looked promising on Realtime-Navigator and had a great trip....2 for 3 on blues, missed a white, caught several wahoo/dorado/yellowfins in perfect flat water. Saw 3 whales just sunning on the surface and blowing their blowholes...when we got close, they would bow up and dive, showing their tails. Pretty cool. When we got close to 2 that were together, they dove leaving behind a 40 ft diameter brown murky circle in the cobalt blue water. (?)

Our largest blue was caught yesterday morning while trolling a rip - it came up and popped the long left rigger (miss #1), then swam over, bill and dorsal out of the water popping the right flat (miss #2). We are concentrating on looking at the spread and don't see this big weed patch that we plow right thru (*#!#)...looking back to the spread, the left short rigger has a big clump of weeds on it, and the marlin doesn't care! It comes up and pops it hard (miss #3). By this time, we are getting frustrated and shouting and yelling. Then she comes up again and does a body slam on right short (miss #4!). Finally, she comes up to the left flat and eats it - Fish On! We got her to the boat in about 45 minutes and see that it's a legal fish so into the cockpit she comes. Onward to Biloxi for the weigh-in with a solid 500 lb class fish.

When we get there, we find out the my partner David Finkelstein fishing aboard the Galati Boat (68' Viking) is in First Place with a 666.2 lb. Blue, so the owners of Hilton's Realtime-Navigator were sitting in First and Second Place, for a while anyways. UpToIt brought in a 541 lb'er kicking us back to Third. The C-YA brings in a monster 722 lb hoss right before the end of the tournament knocking us down to 4th, and my partner down to 2nd. I was hoping my partner and I could finish First and Third out of 86 boats, but it wasn't meant to be and had to settle for 2nd and 4th.

BTW, the top six fish weighed were all RTN subscribers.

In any case, it was a great weekend, great tournament, and great company to fish with aboard the Mattiduke. Thanks for the invite.

Pics to follow.

All the best,
Tom Hilton

·
I can't see the Rockies from here !!
4,267 Posts
Thank's for the report. Looking forward to the photo's. When a 500lb
will only win you 4th place then the fishing was as Hot as the weather.
Later Baker

·
Registered
426 Posts
WOW. The bite really turned on in a weeks time as it was pretty slow during the Cajun Canyon Classic last weekend. And it appears that the big fish came to party. Sounds like you had a great fishing trip.

Were these big girls on the rip Tom or the floaters?

JMR

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
rip

Howdy,
We were fishing floaters and rips - the 500 lbr came off the rip going N/S near 89 37 longitude, specific position of the catch; 27 38.341/89 37.133. For you guys with the NC GULF region, I would suggest going back to Friday's imagery (sea temp and altimetry) and place the Nav Tool on that position, and you will see why I liked it. (Great learning tool, being able to look backward and see why you or others were successful). Look at the altimetry in the days preceding the tournament and look at what was happening.

Not only am I the President of Hilton's Realtime-Navigator, but I'm also a Member! lol

All the best,
Tom

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sounds like a great tournament result, Congrats. You really motivate us Marlin fisherman wanabees by sharing your experiences. Thanks for the post.
Kal

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks Tom, I was waiting to see if you would post something. You had quite the cast of characters on board! I guess you didn't even bother looking at the Roff's graph I sent George! LOL.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
marlin

Svajda said:
Thanks Tom, I was waiting to see if you would post something. You had quite the cast of characters on board! I guess you didn't even bother looking at the Roff's graph I sent George! LOL.
Svajda,
Yeah, didn't even know he had a Roff's on board (I guess he didn't want to insult me).

Yes - it was a Bohemian/Polish/Czech thing going on with the crew! Motley.

All the best,
Tom

·
Registered
414 Posts
Tom Hilton said:
Svajda,
Yeah, didn't even know he had a Roff's on board (I guess he didn't want to insult me).

Yes - it was a Bohemian/Polish/Czech thing going on with the crew! Motley.

All the best,
Tom
Yeah, and the "import", I hear Jose is quite the fisherman.

You can never have to much helpfull info. I compared the two for them before
ya'll left, and IMO Real Time Navigator is much easier to use.

Glad ya'll had a good trip, thanks for the pictures.

Can't wait to hear Emil's "colorful" translation when he returns.

JS

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah!!! Go Team Go!!!

I pick Emil up tonight around 9. He'll be excited to see this thread. Thanks Tom.

GK

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Don't forget to stop at Big Daddy's on your way back for Etouffee. I still have not recovered from the Chyenne. LOL Looks like you had a great trip.

J Smarr

·
Registered
751 Posts
Congrats to the Mattiduke. Glad you all represented Texas so positively this past week. Best of luck on the ride home, if you havent made it back already.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
marlin

Blue N' Brew said:
Congrats George and Emil. You deserve to catch that fish, I just hate that you didn't end up first with it.

Good job,
Chance
I agree totally Chance - George and Emil definitely deserve it. Good things happen to good people.

All the best,
Tom

·
Registered
183 Posts
Congrads to all. Tom those are some great pictures.

Tom thanks for the LA area on Realtime it is a great tool to have in the box.

Chad

·
Super Moderator
3,735 Posts
Congrats on a fine fish and the place in the tournament! Sounds like you had a blast! As hard as you have been working, it was time to take a break.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts