2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
November 30, 2009

In my experience from selling my Angler Products Fishing Hotspots on preprogrammed memory cards I've recently learned something that I want to pass on to the rest of you. To some of the older Lowrance and Raymarine units all memory cards are not alike. When the first GPS units came out that used the SD and CF memory cards, 512 MB was considered huge so that was the size limitation the manufacturers put on their GPS units to accept. Today you can get cards 8 GB and larger with no end in sight. This was beyond the GPS makers' vision at the time. As a result, if you use a memory card larger than 512 MB on some of these units it won't read it and will either ignore the card or give you some really strange behavior.

I have not pinpointed all of the models affected but here are the ones I do know:

· A & C Classic Series of Raymarine GPS units.
· Many of the Lowrance models manufactured as recently as 2 years ago.
· If you see a problem when trying to do a software update or transferring GPS data to and from your GPS, this is probably the culprit.

Now here's the real kicker in this story of poor forward thinking by the manufacturers, it has become increasingly difficult to locate and purchase SD or CF cards that are less than 1 GB in size. I'm trying to stock up on them for my business but it's not been easy. If you do have one of the earlier units do yourself a favor and get a card of 512 MB or smaller and keep it safe so you can work with you GPS in the future. At this time the only place I can find them is online at a few of the memory card suppliers. I cannot find them locally anywhere. The online site I have had luck with recently is: www.memorysuppliers.com but that could change rapidly.

Just thought I'd pass this on. It frustrated me for a bit until I discovered this on my own. I've yet to have a technical person at Raymarine or Lowrance tell me this.

Regards,

Captain John C. Brummerhop

·
Registered
853 Posts
Furthermore

Soon as I can scrape a couple dollars together I'm trading out my A-series Raymarine. Haven't been happy with it from day one. Want a good reliable GPS stand alone unit (that will fill in the hole in the cockpit where the A-65 is now) and go with a separate depth finder.

Suggestions?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts