2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hooked Up (Guy) is making a large, completely hand made memorial cross for Sam, with the letters burned into the wood with a magnifying glass and the sun! This will be something that can stay on the beach in memory of Sam. This cross will be made by hand, no power tools, electricity, artificial stuff, etc. Any suggestions, comments during construction, call Cassaundra 713-480-8471.

Attachments

·
Borders, language, culture
6,344 Posts
Very nice. I hate to be pessimistic, but it probably won't last on the beach. Some people just give a **** and it will be burned for firewood. I could be wrong, but sadly I don't think so.

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Man, that is 2cool! But...it won't last a month. I am afraid it would get trashed. I know this is a PITA but how about someone bringing it out at each of the gatherings? It bugs me when people have these great ideas that they can't help with. So, I'll apologize now. Just a thought....Drew

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Good Idea!

Taking it to the gatherings might be a way to keep it safe, we have already discussed vandalism/theft and decided to we could keep it at the house unless there were others who felt it should stay on the beach or wanted charge of it. Nothing complicated, just holding on to Sam! It's turning out beautiful. Please call if you have any suggestions!

Cassaundra
713-480-8471

·
Heritage, not Hate
3,239 Posts
All I can say is WOW! I think bringing it to each gathering at Sam's beach would be most appropriate. I would hate to think of erecting it and coming back later and it be gone or desecrated.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Or worse.

Some may find it offending. The "Religious symbol" thing.

On the upside.

I say put it up. If anyone lives close, check on it when you can. I think Sam would like it.

On the downside.

If I caught anyone tearing down that cross, and burning it.............

·
11,766 Posts
Just a suggestion that may make it a little more permanent. How about burying it under the Christmas tree sand dunes that Mr. Lucas helped out on. I would like to see it stay in the open like the rest of you'll but I would bet that somebody would use it as firewood. This way it is there and in the future when everyone sees the new dunes a little piece of Mr. Lucas will be there also.

·
# 314
524 Posts
That is truly awesome.Sam would be proud.
Gary,the cross is actually fitting.Sam was a very religous man.
We have been discussing some sort of memorial in the CCCF and all those concerns keep coming up.Some sort of tribute will be nice.Seeing it stolen or destroyed will just bring back the pain. I'm sure it will all work out fine.
If no one minds,I am going to post a link to this thread on our board.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Krash

How about an alternative site? Somewhere that can be visited, but safe? Anyone know who owns property adjacent to access 5?

Bro, I think between you and I, were sort of the go between guys that communicate whats going on between CCCF and TTMB. Sort of, the bridge gappers. I think we have a new responsiblity. We got awfully big shoes to fill. And we cant do it alone. We need everyone.

On the same page.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Guy

Hooked Up said:
We should let the family decide? It matters not to me. The lord put it on my heart to build it and so I will. If "the religious" thing bothers you, well I'll pray for ya. Tight lines, Guy
I hope I didnt come across as not being religious. I am. That wasnt my point. My point was, some athiest buttwhipe will make a mockery of a cross on public property. Next thing you know, its all over the news.

And, Ill have to pull Mont off of some jerk, so you can take him to jail. ;)

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Its pretty tall, so how about mixing a 100 lb chunk of cement on it buried about 3 feet deep, and using an unatural object, such as bolts, through the cross member section? Just a thought.

·
Team Ocean Kayak
81 Posts
I know that I don't post here often enough, but I just wanted to say that as a CCCFer, I am very proud of the comoraderie between TTMB and CCCF. Hooked Up's artistry would make even the most humble man proud.

Thanks Guy, and TTMB.

·
Ice tea and beans
4,589 Posts
I see....

lots of memorials, along the road ways and they don't get defaced, or stolen....plus it looks like treated wood.....bad news for firewood....maybe some type of permanent plaque, relating a little about who it is for, and what he stood for? I'm a bit more optimistic than most, and I would think it should stay up. Let the cross witness the sunrise, and the sunset, let it weather the winds from the Gulf, let it bear up under the rains, and storms. It has born more than foul weather, and vandals, for these centuries. Even if a vandal doesn't get it, wood rots, and even if we made it from metal, it will rust.

But if we have a permanant place we put it, even if it has fallen, we can still say, "See that spot right there? That's where we put Sam's cross. The last storm took it down, but next weekend, we are gonna have another gathering/memorial and we are gonna put another one up. Right there."

This cross is more than just an icon, of two pieces of wood crossed together, just as Sam seemed to be more than just a webmaster/fisherman, that loved the beach. I never knew, or met Sam, but from everything I'm hearing, he was someone super special. If someone takes it down, or defaces it, they will have to answer to the big guy upstairs, and I'll offer my help, to erect a new one. EVERTIME.

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
I say put it where Sam loved to be, Access #5. If we're all afraid of some idiot in full bloom taking the thing for firewood, how about putting a plaque on it or at the base of it explaining why it was put there and who it was for?

Could be somthing simple like "in memory of Sam Lucas who loved to fish, loved this beach and fought to keep it open"

Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have to go along with every body on the cross. Let his Love Ones decied where they wolud like to the cross put up at. We all loved Sam and gotten to know him and Loved him all in our owen LITTLE ways. Yes he did Love to fish. Pluse he liked a nice Cold Beer too.
Good Luck to all had some nice things to say. Hook Up has poured his heart and soul in this CROSS. That is his way saying good bye or it's time to Wet his HOOK or HOOKS. Maybe saying it's time to go fishing. No matter what, he done this for his friend, fishing buddy or maybe his hunting buddy.

Top Dog Jr.X2

1 - 20 of 34 Posts