2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Worldangler
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here goes one of my controversial posts.

There's been some talk/rumours about a Media Blackout. Here are my thoughts and tidbits of information that I have heard. This is just talk-talk, as I really can't confirm this myself, but I trust my sources.

I don't think there is a media "blackout", but there is definitely a throttling of information being allowed to be published. From what I've heard, there are very good reasons for this. Take these as you will, but here I some of the things that I've heard:

(1) It is a very serious situation on the coast right now. Many more issues than the media has even thought of. The government entities who are trying their best to deal with everything would prefer not have to deal with things that they don't have to : such as media hype starting a panic or giving "ideas" to unsavory elements. They want to get a handle on some things before media or mass opinions/actions make matters worse. To me, that's smart.

(2) There are almost certainly much more loss of life than is being reported. I have already heard from some LEO about bodies recovered - the count is more than what the news is reporting. In addition, there are many, many people unaccounted for - don't know what happened or where they are. They are simply "unaccounted". These numbers run over a 1000 (some say higher) for Bolivar and between 3000-5000 (again, some say higher) on Galveston. People being what they are, some will want to speculate that these may be DOA - but NO ONE knows, they may have left out of state, etc. If there IS loss of life, it may be that the bodies have not be found in the door-to-door search, or they may not be "floating", or they may have washed out to sea as the water receded. It is sad to think that many perished, but my personal OPINION is there is more than the 5 or 6 deaths "officially" reported - almost certainly since one source told me they have recovered more than that from the Texas City beaches just the other day.

(3) One military person I spoke with said there is an issue of National security that is hush-hush right now. The issue is that there is a LARGE geographical area that is not under any infrastructure police protection or patrol. A significant hole on the coast that "unsavory" elements could sneak just about anything into the US undetected - drugs, weapons, you name it. The CG and LEO have their hands full with cleanup, and keeping worried folks from poking around - not to mention looters - and really can't watch the coast for someone running drugs or something more serious. Especially at night The military is being called in and the "talk" is that Galvestion will most likely be under martial law soon. My military source told me - and take this for what it's worth - that the commander in the area is calling for around 15,000 troops and they "just ain't available" - we have too many deployed elsewhere. The fear is that this would send a signal to our enemies in the world that we are weak and vunerable right now on the Texas coast.

(4) It is AMAZING the lack of news coverage outside Texas. My company based in California knows virtually NOTHING about what is going on. They tell me there was a 3 minute spot on the news last Saturday, very few if any pictures with the various news stories. And the only thing that this is being reported now is stuff like "cleanup effort continues", and "tiger loose", and "man in bear suit on beach" - fluff pieces. I sent them some pictures and they flat don't believe it - think I am making it up and sending pictures from Indonesia or some such place. Which explains why they got so angry when I told them I was taking a day off to board up my house. (Their suggestion was I could leave last Friday after work if I really, really needed to). They are also upset that their office in Houston isn't open: Quote "I mean, the storm was last Saturday for gosh sake, we're going to have to take some diciplinary action if people don't start showing up".

·
Registered
42 Posts
I suspect the administration does not want a pr nightmare like Katrina and the dead lady in a wheelchair. The news is being throttled.

·
You got girlfriend Vietnam?
1,892 Posts
I would bet the loss of life is much greater than is being reported. There is no reason to plaster that all over the tv right now like the media whores did with Katrina. Let them do their job and we will find out in the end how bad is actually is.... Why people would stay on Bolivar is beyond me. Knowing that Bolivar would without a doubt be covered in water with no escape. I read one story from a survivor that watch his neighbor hang on for his life to the pillars of his house and then slipped away. Horrible.

·
Banned
2,395 Posts
JohnHumbert said:
It is AMAZING the lack of news coverage outside Texas. My company based in California knows virtually NOTHING about what is going on. They tell me there was a 3 minute spot on the news last Saturday, very few if any pictures with the various news stories. And the only thing that this is being reported now is stuff like "cleanup effort continues", and "tiger loose", and "man in bear suit on beach" - fluff pieces. I sent them some pictures and they flat don't believe it - think I am making it up and sending pictures from Indonesia or some such place".
I've had the same experience when showing my friends in Washington State the devastation, they just flat out don't believe that could be in the US.

·
Urban Chicken Farmer & Shark
2,323 Posts
seattleman1969 said:
I've had the same experience when showing my friends in Washington State the devastation, they just flat out don't believe that could be in the US.
That's 100% truth ... other than updates i get from you guys & other forum posts i see nothing ... from what i can tell from watching the news .. you guys are back to normal ... drinking shiner & watching the cowboys ... the lack of coverage is amazing ..

now when it comes to what's going on with wall street, or sarah palin ... you know more than you want to

·
non-politically correct
7,304 Posts
Family in Oklahoma are scratching for info about the coast as well as friends on the East Coast. Had several calls from national accounts wondering what's happening and I am forwarding pics. Common sense to me dictates that feds, state & local gov. would not want broadcast gloom and doom any futher than is being broadcast now to include any additional weakness in our area. I am not of the conspiracy group and don't believe we are being fed untruths but may be receiving limited information as the death toll is unknown at this time.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I think there is a huge media blackout on Bolivar and have heard plenty of rumors to support your theory. If about 40% of the population stayed on Galveston then you could deduce that 40% of the Bolivar population stayed as well. From what I've gathered they have only rescued around 150-200 people which leaves many missing. I agree that it isn't right to write these people off and many may have escaped without being counted, but the media needs to be updating this situation so that these people can be found. It is sickening to me the way that this situation is being mishandled. By treating Bolivar as the redheaded stepchild of Galveston County they are allowing looters to run free and steal from the few standing homes, they are allowing thieves to have a field day down there and you can bet that there is a lot of mischievous activity down there right now.

Now I wish what I wrote above was not true, and this is just what I've been hearing but unfortunately the media is not offering any counter-information to repress the rumors.

·
Worldangler
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TrashCan...

I don't think there's a "blackout" on Bolivar. I think it's more than there's just nothing to report. From what I heard, there's nothing living on Bolivar except mosquitos and 'gators. Not one picture or report of any person actually walking around, looking, etc. Of course, you can't there ... but if there were any people there, you would expect SOMETHING to see, hear. It has been reported that a few hundred were evacuated, airlifted out but that's it.

Reporting/media coverage can't really say much when there's virtually nothing left in some areas.

·
Still trying to figure it all out
10,501 Posts
I'm in Oklahoma with family and friends in Houston and Galveston. I am amazed that 2cool has provided me with more information and pictures than any other source. I have been able to provide pictures of the devastation to my friends and family across the US - and frankly, they have been shocked.

The national and local news make it appear that there were a few boats thrown around and a few houses lost..........I don't get it.

Thanks 2cool.......

·
Old ******
4,526 Posts
<<(Their suggestion was I could leave last Friday after work if I really, really needed to). They are also upset that their office in Houston isn't open: Quote "I mean, the storm was last Saturday for gosh sake, we're going to have to take some diciplinary action if people don't start showing up".>>

This is the point where I would politely suggest that the home office come and visit. If they refuse I would find work elsewhere...after telling them what I think of their lack of respect for the lives of their employees. Of course that's just me...and I'm rather impulsive (Texan).

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
until the areas are cleared for bodies, I would hope there would be a media blackout, last thing someone wants to see is a deceased friend/family member on the news after 5 days, what else do people really need to see ?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I expect that, if the approximations on how many people stayed is correct, there will be a total lost life count of around 3,000-5,000 persons, maybe up to 10,000. I would have to think that a number of those persons are now washing up on shore, therefore the media blackout- out of respect for the deceased. Quite frankly, I don't want to see that on my TV. These people deserve more than that.

·
Registered
826 Posts
JohnHumbert said:
. . .(3) One military person I spoke with said there is an issue of National security that is hush-hush right now. The issue is that there is a LARGE geographical area that is not under any infrastructure police protection or patrol. . . .
Not trying to be argumentive but I'm not sure how accurate this is.
My father-in-law works for the Galveston County Sherif's department and they are working 12 hour shifts patrolling Bolivar and Galveston Island.

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
warcat said:
I expect that, if the approximations on how many people stayed is correct, there will be a total lost life count of around 3,000-5,000 persons, maybe up to 10,000.............
My gut has told me all along that the number is going to go up very significantly as time passes. However, I don't think (hope) the numbers are not near that high.

I feel like if the numbers were near that high, by this time, there would be a whole lot of people contacting the media trying to get attention drawn to locating their loved ones. And the media certainly wouldn't pass on that story.

That's just my gut. I pray that I'm right and you are wrong. :sad:

·
Worldangler
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
85LoneStar...

I'm sure the LEO are doing a great job with what they have in resources. But Bolivar is a big place, not enough officers to be everywhere at once. I am certain that if someone wanted to, they could get in and out without being detected or caught.

Perhaps saying "not under any" was a poor choice of words...better to say "not being patrolled sufficiently to stop a serious effort"

·
Registered
550 Posts
My sister lives in Columbus OH and believe me the people up there know we had one helluva storm. My sister lost shingles off her house and electricity for a longer period of time than me. When Ike rolled through up there she called wondering how anyone within 50 miles of the coast was still here. She said a large portion of Cincinnati was without power after Ike came through. You just can't expect people that have never seen or been through a disaster of this magnitude first hand to even comprehend.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Slightly Dangerous said:
<<(Their suggestion was I could leave last Friday after work if I really, really needed to). They are also upset that their office in Houston isn't open: Quote "I mean, the storm was last Saturday for gosh sake, we're going to have to take some diciplinary action if people don't start showing up".>>

This is the point where I would politely suggest that the home office come and visit. If they refuse I would find work elsewhere...after telling them what I think of their lack of respect for the lives of their employees. Of course that's just me...and I'm rather impulsive (Texan).
I'd tell them the same thing. Then I'd post the name of the company. I'm pretty sure they'd never make a sale in Texas again.

SD, did you and yours make it through the storm OK? Were you able to take that overnight fishing trip the weekend of Sept 13th-14th you were planning to do? :eek: :eek:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.