2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has converted there old hand crank grinder. I know, go get an electric one and save time. Where's the fun in that. The coast is trashed, my kid is hunting, i've been stuck working for the last 3 weeks since the storm. So, I need a project. I've got an old hand grinder, got a motor. I just need to find some pulley's. Any idea where to pick one up at around Sugarland?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to ask. If you have already built one, post up a few pics. I could use the ideas.

·
God is great, beer is good...
507 Posts
We did it about 15 years ago. I don't know where to point you to for a sheave, but make sure you get one sized properly. You need a large sheave to be able to handle the torque needed for the grinder. Ours is about a 12" sheave and we often have to give it a little help. It sure beats wearing out your arms cranking that handle though.

·
Registered
275 Posts
try ww grainger in sugarland or on their web page

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Sheave" you say. I was thinking pulley. Maybe that's why i'm not finding what i'm looking for. LOL. Overworked and undereducated. I've been reading about this horsepower issue. Too little, burn up the motor, too much, could loose a limb. Thank's.

·
Sea Ya
936 Posts
The best way to do it is, use a gear reduction box and a coupler with a rubber bushing. Everything you need you can buy from Nothern Tool and Equipment. Forget the pulleys--too dangerous.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, you guy's are great. I'm in business now. Thank's fellas. I'd love to see a pic of this gear driven apperatice..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts