2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I went down to Matagorda with weekend plans of teal hunting. But after only 1 bird Friday morning and flat seas we shifted gears and decided to take the Knot Real out for an inshore trip. A short run out to the 5-mile rigs and in 40 minutes we had our limit, with Charlotte taking the 2 largest at 9# each. Went out Sunday, same spot, taking the neighbor couple and limited in an hour. Largest fish was 10 1/2#.

The channel out of the jetties is basically the same but has shallowed up some. In the S-curve before the jetties there is a stretch that is no deeper than 4 ft where it used to be 5 1/2. About 2/3 of the way out is about a 30 yard stretch where I couldn't find anything deeper than 3 1/2 ft. The water stays shallow for a lot further out than it used to as well. These depths were all during a time of higher than normal tides, so I'm a bit concerned of the future. I would never attempt to go thru with 3 ft waves and an outgoing tide as you'd be chugging sand in the wave troughs. Hoping that the low winter tides will channel the water and force a deeper pathway, time will tell.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Glad you made it out and did good. I need to get my stuff back to Matty so that I will be ready for the next run of good weather. We sure dodged a bullet, Matty came out well considering where the bullseye was pointed for a while.

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
Thanks for the info. When the tides return to normal it is gonna be a burger bear and shallow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts