2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
AKA Offshore Aggie
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a bit late start out of Matty on Saturday. Headed toward A52 area in hopes of crossing some good weedlines. We hit a few on the way out and nada. Saw some birds working and bait crashing in the middle of nowhere. Trolled beside it and picked up a good size king. Everyone wanted to stop for a bit and bottom drop. Headed toward a rig short of A52 with no one on it. Dropped down a blue runner on one pass around and came back up with a small cuda. Tied up to the rig and dropped down. Was gonna chunk over half of the cuda to keep the triggers away from our baits, dad wouldn't any bit of that. My dad loves triggerfish so we stayed there a while and loaded up on them. With my help, my cousin dropped down a big slab of cuda with circle hooks on a a 4' wire leader. We snapped the wire leader to the 30W and sent it down. Broke out last trips leftover bait. Dropped it in a bucket and poured in a bunch of pogie oil. Stirred and mashed it all up real good and dropped it overboard. Shortly thereafter, we had a fleet of cudas off the back of the boat. Was hoping a ling or two would come on up but not this time. Sat there for a bit longer helping unhook and dump triggers in the cooler when the 30W slowly bent over. The line on it started to slowly trickle out. I stopped my cousin from setting the hooks and told him to let the circle hooks do their work. After a bit, we went to reel it in. We reeled up the slack and thought maybe the fish was gone, but it wasn't. As soon as it came tight, line started trickling off again very slowly. We unhooked from the rig and got my cousin settled down nicely for the fight. We cranked up on the drag till the line was slowly pinging off the rollers making that banjo sound. We spent a good while fighting this fish with full drag before I looked down to see what time it was. It was about 11:30 AM. I don't know how long we were fighting this fish, but we were already a good mile away from the rig. My cousin wanted someone else to take a turn at it so my other cousin jumped in for a while. Now these are two good ole country boys from Oklahoma and they aren't wimps by any stretch of the imagination, but after about another 30 minutes on a 30W with the drag buttoned down and no fighting belt or harness, they were sweating up a storm. It's now about 12:45 and they have had enough. I decided I'd jump in and give them a break for a bit. It wasn't long before I needed help holding the rod too. This fish never made any long fast runs, it just slowly peeled off line when it wanted to. For over an hour we would gain line inch by inch only to have the fish slowly peel off about 5 or 6 feet. Well....at 1:06 PM we finally got the fish up close enough to see..................

As soon as I can get the video off the camera, I'll post up part II. Anyone want to take a guess as to what it was???

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
An Aggie Diver who is practicing for the upcoming Aggie Sea Olympics. Events to include:

Underwater Boat Towing
Rig Leg Wrestling
Grouper Bobbing
Stingray Throw
Turtle Tipping

I wonder which of these will be the focus of Part 2. I can't wait these Aggies are so much fun:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.