2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
HuntnFishnFool
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FINALLY.

The winds settled, it wasn't raining, and the weed wasn't bad last weekend, so I made a day trip to Matagorda last Saturday. I hit the sand a little after 7am to find some pretty fair beach driving conditions. On the way down, I passed about a dozen catamarans around the 2MM. Didn't pay 'em much attention then, but they will come back to us later.

I made it to the 5MM before I had to kick it into 4wd. The tide line was littered with logs, small trees, and other debris from the recent rains, so I stuck to the high road until the 6.5MM. There was still plenty of good structure in the area, but quite a few had already made their way down ahead of me and some of the better spots had been claimed.

I continued down to the 10.5MM before I figured the water wasn't getting any better, so I headed back to a hole around the 6.8MM. I ran out a small ray on the 4/0-wide around 9:15.

It didn't take long to realize that I had left my big leaders for the 9/0 back at home, so I wasted away some time rigging up another leader for the 9/0. I finally sent out a bonito just before 10am and the waiting game was on.

As the lil helper and myself were waiting, we noticed the catamarans were making their merry little way down the beach.... and a little too close. I decided it was high time to pratice my long distance casting. After the first cast went about 100 yards, the lead boat made a right hand turn and headed gulf bound. :slimer: The rest of them got the idea. :idea:

After the fun was over, we waited in the sweltering heat for some action. The beer cooler would be easy to clean after this trip. :spineyes:

High tide hit us around the time I deployed the bonito and it began its slow descent until after noon. At about 12:15 I noticed the 4-wide went slack and FISH ON. I had to reel like hell to catch up and once I did, the fish only managed a couple of short bursts before running at me again.

A few minutes later, a 48 inch female spinner hit the sand. She got the circle hook a little further back in the jaw than I cared for, so she got to keep a momento of our encounter. She swam off under her own power after a little walk.

That would be it for this trip. The bonito came back with just a head. Maybe next time.....

willbo

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: Nice report.

Good 'goin, and report. I can't stand it when I forget things, (it's usually something), I forgot my crimper this past weekend, as well as my (backup) mono for leaders.

BTW: The Bonito that you were fishing with, is it a true Bonito, or a False Albacore (Little Tunny)?

In SE FL, I've noticed everone calls False Albies, Bonito.

;)

·
HuntnFishnFool
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surfrat said:
BTW: The Bonito that you were fishing with, is it a true Bonito, or a False Albacore (Little Tunny)?

In SE FL, I've noticed everone calls False Albies, Bonito.

;)
Lil tunny.

willbo

·
Registered
185 Posts
**** Willbo, when are you going to come back down to my neck of the woods?

·
HuntnFishnFool
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oz

Oz said:
**** Willbo, when are you going to come back down to my neck of the woods?
Dunno, bud. I'm planning on hitting 'Gorda again for the 4th of July weekend, and after that, I'm pretty much game for anything. How are the conditions shaping up down that way?

There is no weed in Matagordaville right now.

willbo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts