2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed out about daylight towards the East Breaks for some surface fishing. Medium chop and 2 footers most of the way, though the wind picked up to about 20kts at one point. Some rain all around, but not on us.

Anyway, we hit a shrimp boat or two at 45 miles and found sharks, remora, and some bonita. I could see tuna down there too, but the sharks were hungry and the tuna were not. After catching two sharks and a remora, we headed on out to Falcon Crest to look for some action.

Hit the Falcon rig about 10am or so and there was already a boat working there, a 33' HydroSport with tower. We made several passes and picked up a blackfin tuna on a cedar plug, but that was it. There was so much scattered weed we were fouling our lures constantly, so we tried a little chunking next to the rig to see if the tuna would come up. One small AJ and triggers is all we got.

We decided to look for more shrimp boats. There were only two that we could find. There were boats working both of them. About this time it was 12:30 and we had only one fish in the box and no shrimpers in sight. I was beginning to think we were not going to catch anything that day. I spotted something about 6 miles away that looked like a shrimp boat so we headed that way. Sure enough it was, and there was another boat (small Cobia with single Yamaha) working it. These guys were friendly and told us there were bonita and a few BF tuna. We waited for them to drift off alittle ways and started chunking by the boat. We picked up a few kings and a few bonita. The other guys apparently got tired of catching bonito and headed towards POC. We stayed and started some heavy chumming. That is when the BF tuna got active. We fished about 2 hours and then had to leave because the weather was getting ugly. The wind was blowing 20kts and the seas had built to a very steep 3-4'.

All told, it was a good day. We boated 8 BF tuna (10-25#), 7 kings, and a nice little 5# bull dolphin. We threw back a dozen or so bonito and two sharks as well. I'll see if I can figure out how to add a tuna pic to this thread.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gunner. I didn't snap a pic of the dolphin. It wasn't a very big one. It was so busy on the boat the last couple of hours that I didn't take any pics until we got back to the dock. We usually had two fish on at once which is interesting when one is a king and the other a tuna.

BTW, thanks for adding the pic. I think I forgot to click the "upload" button when attaching it the first time.

·
Twisted Fisher
279 Posts
Cool man.....still haven't gotten into the blackfins yet myself. They're next on the list, if they come inside 35 miles.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need to go at least 45 miles to have a decent chance for black fin. You need around 160 feet of water at a minimum to find black fin usually, 200 is much better. In 200-400 you'll sometimes find yellow fin too.

·
Twisted Fisher
279 Posts
What's that line from the movie........."We need a bigger boat". Some day, gotta fish this one for a couple more seasons, then we'll see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts