2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the channel is like at Matagorda? I was there in March and it was shallow at the mouth of the jetties. I'll be there this weekend and would like to know if it's ok to get through.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fished for the first time out of Matagorda Saturday and Sunday and had a very difficult time coming thru the jetties at low tide Sat pm 7:30 . 4 of us had to get out of the boat and push pull it back out and found a deep enough cut near the east jetty and angle back diaglenal toward the north end of the west jetty to the mouth of the river. I have a VIP w/t115 Yamahas and their where 5 or 6 bigger boats having a much harder time. I felt lucky to get back! Had no problem on Sunday but came in around 1:30ya

·
Registered
2 Posts
Returned from an offshore trip and arrived at the mouth around 7:00 on Saturday. Two boats were grounded at the mouth. It looked to be around 1 to 2 feet across the whole mouth. Watched the stranded boaters wade across the mouth looking for an opening. It was an abnormal low tide. We ran to Port O'Conner and got inside the mouth around dark. We worked our way through the bay following the channel markers (green blinking lights). Once we hit the intercoastal, we could not stay in the channel and keep running aground. There was no moon to aid us.1 flashlight was of no help. We had to play chicken with two barges and follow them all the way in to the locks. Due to the intercostal being some what low the barges kept getting semi-stuck on the turns and we feed the mesquites well while waiting for them to get up to full (5 miles an hour)speed. Arrived back at he harbor around 2;00. Beware of low tides and a SCREWED UP opening to the gulf.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was fishing the "new" sandbar at the mouth of the river Saturday evening and saw 5 boats have to be dragged across the mouth to get back in. Most weren't even that big of boats. 1 red boat couldn't get back in and had to call a buddy to come pick them up. They left the boat anchored out at the end of the jetty from what I could tell. If I was going out, I would make sure and time it so I wasn't coming back in at low tide.

·
Registered
551 Posts
They said in the Bay City Paper that they are suppose to start dredging in July. They got some Hurricane relief Money. So things should get better..

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,848 Posts
When the offshore shrimping season opens (July 15th I think)... they should have it blown out some. It is a nighmare at low tide right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts