2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ahh, u should've bought a Shallow Sport!
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Son's first deer.. 7.5 y/o doe shot at a bon-a-fide 175 yards with my trusty ole .223. He dropped her on the first shot with complete penatration through the shoulder. He hunted all weeked for a buck, even passing up on a spike. I am pround of him for acting like he did. He told me that if a buck didn't come out he'd shoot another doe to help out the herd.. We had to drag her through quite a bit of water to get a decent picture. Enjoy.

Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
lotta deer down on the island or what? I didnt think there would be but im obviously wrong...i'd be interested to know the numbers that you guys saw. Excellent shot for the youngster!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Love the old lighthouse in the background.

Yes....deer are thick on the island. Check out the Public Land Applications booklet for hunter success rates down there and you will be amazed.

You guys didn't happen on to a stray Chesapeake Bay Retriever while you were on the island did you?

·
Registered
448 Posts
very nice, congrats to your son. what kind of bullet are you shooting out of that to get the pass through? I am loading some 62 gr barnes tsx's and am always interested in the bullet performance of 223 rounds on game.

·
Ahh, u should've bought a Shallow Sport!
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry Chambers we didn't see any retrievers on the island, but we did hear the story and were asked to keep an eye out.

He was shooting a Cor-Bon with a 53 gr. Barnes Triple X. I was totally amazed with the performance myself, as this was the first animal we've shot with it. I video taped the whole scene, but after watching it that night, I failed to forward the tape enough to NOT record over the after shots..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts