2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got off the fence and bought my first yak. Decided to take it down to Matagorda for the maiden voyage and it was a blast! No hookups with toothy critters..although I did have one screaming 100yd run but it dropped the bait...oh well maybe next time. Bull reds were on the menu along with lots of giant gafftop, ladyfish and even some middle of the afternoon trout. I was up about 8 miles and the water from shore to the first bar was this wierd milky color. It changed to deep green through the first gut and then abit sandy over the second then deep green again. The trout bite was just the other side of the milky stuff in the first gut. Lots of bait and feeding activity even at slack low tide. Goodness the weather has been great most of this summer...Love the new yak, it's really stable! I bought a mainstream "renegade". I had been eyeballing it at Sams for awhile and reading reviews. It's a 12 footer that runs very quick. We'll see how she does in some real surf. This stuff right now is just a ripple. I put her in the pool when I got home just to test out how stable she is and I was amazed. I tried to get her to flip and really had to turn it over myself to do it. Sat right on the bow and all the way back on the stern....no problems.I may have found a new sport with this swimming pool kayaking.

btw...here is a real world advertisement for life jackets...I rented a yak down in galveston last weekend. Interestingly, the proprietor had cut a 3" long x 3/4" wide hole in the SIDE of the yak right at the back where the drain plug is...to facilitate better draining on the racks for storage. Well long story short, I was by myself and running out a bait at 3 am about 350-400 yds out...dropped off the bait and went to pivot for the return trip and this boat suddenly sank right out from under me with no warning! I spent the next couple of hours very gingerly swimming back in with this piece of ****...praying all the way that I wouldn't become a buffet item. Anyway....please wear that jacket! You'll need it when you don't expect it.

·
Just Happy to Be Here!
4,188 Posts
purpletdude said:
btw...here is a real world advertisement for life jackets...I rented a yak down in galveston last weekend. Interestingly, the proprietor had cut a 3" long x 3/4" wide hole in the SIDE of the yak right at the back where the drain plug is...to facilitate better draining on the racks for storage. Well long story short, I was by myself and running out a bait at 3 am about 350-400 yds out...dropped off the bait and went to pivot for the return trip and this boat suddenly sank right out from under me with no warning! I spent the next couple of hours very gingerly swimming back in with this piece of ****...praying all the way that I wouldn't become a buffet item. Anyway....please wear that jacket! You'll need it when you don't expect it.
Man! That part sux! You should post a separate thread like "Yak sinks!" to warm all the other yaker-wanna-be's, like me, that those rentals can be hazardous to your life!

I just had my first yak experience yesterday, on a friend's. And now, I'm hooked. I was advised to rent some, try 'em out, to see which one I like the best. Now, I'm not so sure....

After your experience, I'd be half tempted to press charges, or file a complaint, or something. That proprietor is knowingly renting faulty equipment, made faulty by his own hand---all so it can drain better on his rack! Geez!!! Did he warn you to drain often? Did he tell you about the hole prior to renting it?

I'd appreciate a PM if you're not comfortable posting here, with the name and location, so I can steer clear of them.

Glad you're ok.

Pam

1 - 2 of 2 Posts