2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran out yesterday in slick calm conditions with Cat O' Lies, BigJake and a new poster, PhishingIncident. We saw surprisingly little boat traffic during the day, maybe 6 or 8 other boats all day long beisdes shrimpers. i guess everybody got scared off by the storms that hit Houston.

Anyway, conditions were slick calm all day long. The ride out was glassy with abouta 9" swell on something like 5 second intervals. We ran S out of Matagorda about 45 miles, stopping only to pick up some bait at a small weed patch about 30 miles out. There weren't any really well defined rips or weedlines, just a couple of small ones. We were only able to get some small baits at this stop.

At the first rig we picked up 3 snowy grouper (all by BigJake), a rainbow runner and a couple of nice grey snapper. There was also a nice ling swimming aruond there but we never could get it to hang out long enough to get a bait anywhere near it. We did manage to catch a couple of big chubs and a hardtail about 12" as well. We sent the hardtail to the bottom but no takers here.

We ran to another nearby rig and made a couple of drops, one with the big hardtail, with just a barracuda and 1/2 a king caught here. The hardtail rod went over double and pulled drag for a few seconds but then the bait was gone. Would have liked to have seen the fish that sucked that sucker in.

From here we ran over to a reef and picked up a couple of red snapper. We met up with boatpaint at the reef with his crew. They had boxed a 50# AJ earlier in the day but were having the same trouble as us with finding bait. They picked up a couple of snapper and had a knockdown and brief fight with something that had inhaled about a 5# chub.

After a short while at the reef, we ran over to Falcon's Nest where we hooked up with a Bonita right away. Cat O' Lies then had a hookup with something large while jigging a diamond jig up from bottom. He fought it for a few minutes and it came unbuttoned. We didn't get any more action here after that so we headed over to a wreck at about 45 miles out where we got another 5 or 6 Red Snapper and had our drift continually cut off by a Contendor that arrived after we did. I think that boat is a board member though so I won't mention the boat name but just say that they need to stop running right in front of boats that are circling around them to setup for another drift, especially when the boat they are cutting off arrived there first.

After leaving the last wreck to run in, we noticed a wire spool floating on the surface so we ran over to check it out. The crew picked up 10 or 12 chicken dolphin here and Cat O' Lies was briefly hooked up with a nice dolphin that looked somewhere around 10 - 15 pounds. The ling showed up at this stop and I got a hook pitched out to it buried in a couple of pieces of squid. Had to pitch it a few times before he ate but he did eventually. The ling weighed right at 28#.

Got checked by "The Man" as entered the river on the way in. He spent about 15 minutes on the boat looking at our catch, checking all our compartments and making sure we had an adequate number of lifevests on board. They said they hadn't seen many boats coming in either.

Finally made it back to the dock about 7:15.

Here's the crew with the catch. From Left to Right are Cat O' Lies, PhishingIncident and Big Jake.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
The game warden often hangs out in the river and stops every boat coming in. It is no problem as long as you dont have any short snapper (LOL).

·
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WilliamH said:
Did the warden ask to see any fishing licenses?
Nope.

·
Kamikaze
4,591 Posts
Thanks again for the opportunity to fish with you! It was a good day on the water with great people!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Very few people out of Port A too on Sunday. Seems that all the tourons (tourists+morons) showed up to fish Sat but not Sun. I saw at least half a dozen people that were blocked in in the parking lot, too many people just drive up and park w/out looking around.

Had one yahoo that was not paying attention pass right behind me out at the ship anchorage, while I was trolling. I was yelling and waving my arms at him, but he never seemed to see me?? Somehow he managed to go right over my lines and not pick any up. Also saw another yahoo go full throttle between some anchored boats and the jetty. Welcome to Port A on the weekends LOL.

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
I think everyone was in Freeport. Sunday morning it looked like every kind of boat was running out the jetties. I so everything from 50' sportfisher, bayboats, bassboats, to flatbottoms.

·
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not bad. We were able to get down pretty easily with 6oz of weight everywhere we went.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thanks..

I would like to thank Bernie and the rest of the crew for a very enjoybale day on the water. Bernie knows his stuff and is a first class man, and captain for that matter.

·
Registered
169 Posts
went out yesterday up to 37 miles out . .. .end up with all limits of snapper, about 13 lb dolphin, kings, and some strawberry grouper . . .was a beautiful day and flat!! not many people out at all . . couldn't figure that one out either

·
Worldangler
1,385 Posts
BG, That was me....

...in that Contender and I made a mistake...please accept my apoligies..

We had been trolling around that area from N. Baker to Dunbar all morning, back and forth and around the structure and getting loads of knockdowns. We'd occaision make drops with big live bait when we charted big fish.

In that area there is about an acre and half of rocks. I have numbers for 6 or 7 of the bigger piles. I was trying to position my angler on one of the piles and had my head and eyes glued to my bottom machine and flat never looked up - when I did I was extremely embarrassed! Never meant to get that close or in that position. Was trying to get to a pile west and south of you a hundred yards - not directly downdrift.

My mistake and I'll admit here publically. However, I do object to your description "continually". When we spoke on the radio, I apoligized and immediately vacated did I not? Are you speaking of us trolling the area?

In my defense, I should point out that these numbers and spots are hardly secret and are very popular. I'm a little surprised that y'all only saw a few other boats. We were covered up in boat traffic most of the day. At one rig, which we were at first light, a party boat and 3 other sport boats showed up. At Falcon there were boats coming and going all day - at one point there were about 7 boats all fishing the rig. There were 4 boats within 50 feet of each other and we all managed to fish together, moving in and out, dropping baits, hooking up, pulling out, sliding in....all sharing the rig and area without anyone getting tangled or upset.

My point is this ... on beatiful weekend at popular numbers - there ARE going to be other boats around. If you are upset about us getting a little close and on the downwind side - well you may have a point and I'll take the heat for that one. I flat screwed up - should have come in behind you - didn't think you were where you were. However, the rest of the time we were in no danger of interrupting or impacting your fishing as we were trolling quite a bit away. In addition, I don't recall you picking up or repositioning - but I might of missed that as we quite busy with knockdowns and landing fish.

In any case, if you care to discuss, send me an PM and let me know how I can make it up to you. It is my desire to be courteous and respectful on the water. Obviously, I have missed that mark with you and I would sincerely like to hear and discuss your specific complaint so that I will not offend you again.

·
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
John, thanks for the apology but it wasn't you. We were in an entirely different area when the issue I mentioned occurred and the offending party has already contacted me and apologized. We actually never made it over to Baker Sunday.

BTW - I agree, on a nice weekend we should expect to be dealing with a bunch of boats on the well known spots. We've fished the area we were at Sunday int eh past with as many as 5 other boats and never had a problem. I honestly don't think that the guy meant anything rude by it either, just one of those things that happens sometimes.

·
Worldangler
1,385 Posts
OK, this is funny.....

One post, two apologies! I still owe somebody a beer or two - I couldn't quite make out the boat name, but it was a nice twin hull....I think it was the "Cat U Later" or maybe "CATch U Later". I was about 150-200 feet downwind of them...really felt embarrassed. Had to take some pointed comments that came across my radio. I think that ticked them off more than anything was the fact that we kept slamming fish all around them. Dropping down, trolling by .... the kingfish, ambers, and tuna were thick! Could hardly trolling 100 yards without multiple knockdowns. Even had an AJ nail a trolled Texas Turd at 8 knots!

The other funny thing about this post, is that you mentioned a Contender and all the Contender owners fall over themselves to apologize!

·
5,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pacontender said:
What color was the Contender? Just making sure it wasn't me that cut you off.
Wasn't you eaither.

The responsible party did contact me via PM and apologize. I think we're all cool. It wasn't that big a deal and I don't think he even realized what was happening.

John, I think this shows the class of people that frequent this place. Make a comment without calling anybody out and everyone jumps all over themselves to make sure they didn't do it. Sure wouldn't see that on "the other board."

·
Offshore
503 Posts
limit is 1 speckled hind per vessel

So I am surprised that the warden did not bust y'all for that...
or am I mistaken about the ID on what appear to be 2 strawberry grouper, aka speckled hinds?

·
Kamikaze
4,591 Posts
Now that I have had an opportunnity to look those groupers up online, they mostly resemble the Scamp grouper species. Light gray or brown body covered with reddish-brown spots that tend to be grouped into lines. The corners of the mouth may be yellow. The top and bottom edges of the tail of large adults are elongated. May grow to 2 feet in lenght and weigh up to 28 lbs. Regs state 16" total length minimum and no maximum. 5/person in aggregate of all groupers except Jewfish and Nassau grouper.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
those are rock hinds, aka strawberry grouper, and they fall under the aggregate five grouper/person limit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts