2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Matagorda has once again showed me why I love that area so much. We got about ten miles down the beach before sunrise Saturday morning. Light chop on the perfect green trout water. Started chunking tops at daybreak with a few good trout. Once the sun was up tails in glow/chartreuse were working better. We trout fished on and off all weekend, Saturday being the best day for size with all of us catching trout up to 25". Sunday the numbers were better, lot of dinks with a few keepers mixed in.

Kent with a good stringer of trout.

After the morning gun with the trout Saturday we paddle out about ½ mile from the beach and dropped anchors. Water depth was a little over 20' and visibility was 6-8'. Fished for about an hour in this location without much luck. Worked our way back toward the beach and stopped on a faint color change. The bite was still slow and the early morning of leaving at 1:45am caught up with me So I took a nap in the kayak. Kent and john also got a little sleep in the lull of the action. My clicker woke me up, not a run just taking some line. I was fishing with a live finger mullet under a ballon and just thought that the mullet was pulling a little harder then before. I stuck my thumb on the spool and tried to go back to sleep. But the pulling kept getting harder. I sit up and watched my balloon for a few minutes. I watched as the balloon was making circles about 30' wide. I still thought this was my mullet doing this and decided to reel him in. As I went tight on the line I must have woke him up.

The line screamed off my reel, and then right in the middle of all of us a large shark comes busting up and clears the water by at least 8'. In the air he makes three to four full revolutions. I was screaming at the top of my lungs the whole time, trying to keep my rod tip up to prevent him from wrapping my line up into his body. He sounded then came up again, this time clearing the water by 5-6' and making a few more full revolutions. This happened fast and was totally unexpected by me. He made two more leaps, but they were more of grey hounding type. I dropped my anchor and the real fight began. He must have been mad about me waking him up, made several runs and turning my kayak in many circles. After a long and hard battle I get him up to smile for the camera.

Jolly Roger with a blacktip shark

After the shark we headed back to the beach and caught some more trout and ate lunch. Pogies, mullet, leather jacks and all other kinds of bait fish were stacked in the wade gut. Gafftops and trout were doing there best to kill them all. We played with the trout most of the rest of the evening. Once the sun started getting low in the sky I ran out a few surf rods and prepared for the night. Did not take long for the first strike to come on a large skipjack, but missed the hook. The next hit was a good one, line peeling, clicker screaming, run. When I got the rod in my hands, all I could do was hold on. The fish did not change directions or speed. Just a hard straight pull going to Cuba. I had started off with a little over half a spool of line. He took me down to within a 1/8 of spool, and no doubt would have spooled me if the hook had not pulled. Very fun fish.

This got me a little excited and I ran that rod back out. Within five minutes had another good run, but no hook up. Ran the rod back out and once again had a god screaming run. Rod tip was bouncing hard and I could make out large splashes on the horizon. Fish was mad and put up a great fight.

Jolly Roger with a blacktip

By this time it was getting to late to run baits with the kayak so I coasted some cut into the first gut. About an hour later it got a god run, but missed the hook. When reeling in to check the bait was watching the water, mullet were going crazy. They were leaping and jumping for there life's. Not the lazy jumping they do, but crazy all directions leaps that they cover some water with. Most doing all the jumping were horse mullet, so I grab the cast net and get a few live ones. Hook one up and wade out to the first sand bar and make a poor attempt at a cast that went about 50'. But left it and went back to the camp fire. To my surprise the mullet did not get hit right away. It soaked for about two hours with nothing. I figured that a small shark had got the bait or the mullet was big enough to pull the weight loose and had worked his way into the wade gut. But as luck would have it the clicker started screaming. Kent was first to the rod, as he grabed it the fish never slowed down. The bait was maybe 100yards from the sand at best when the run started, but when I got to Kent and looked at the spool. It was missing about 400 yards of line. The fish turned and started going down the beach. We gave chase, leaving the lights of the camp in the background. The fish did not like that sandbar and every time a wave would crash on him, 100 yards of line would go away. Kent did a perfect job of keeping up with the fish and not giving him slack. After a long battle we spotted her in the wade gut, big bull shark. I went in after her and drug her up on the beach about a ¼ mile from camp. Hook was perfect in the corner of the mouth and after a few precise cuts with a knife the hook came free. Got a few pics, then I drug her back into the surf. She swam away good. In the hurry to get her free I forgot to get a length measurement, the pics do not do her justice. Her size was why out of proportion compared to her length. Look like she was ready to pup any second. It was a great catch on light tackle.

Kent with a bull shark, big congrats

After that I called it a night and crashed out in the truck. Woke up Sunday morning to perfect conditions. Trout were thick again in the surf. I packed up and headed off the beach around ten. Driving was great the first three miles, after that it was not bad as long as the tide is out. We drove in on High tide and after the first three miles had to get on the high road, witch was soft and bumpy making for a fun early morning beach drive. Water was green to clear, very good water color out a few hundred yards. Lot of Spanish macs , whiting and sand trout also in the surf. On my way off the beach this morning every other wader was hooked up, and saw a few good trout landed.

Had a fun weekend and looking forward to the BTB Kingfish Roundup on the 29th.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sweeeet. Another steller report JR. Was going down there this weekend and got talked out of it.:mad: Oh well im goin next time no matter what.

·
Banned
920 Posts
Excellent report, description, and vivid story! Enjoyed the read!

I passed you guys and stuck my truck down a mile or two past you... I could see y'all paddling the yaks out while I was whackin yellow on tails on the first bar.

Great fun!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts