2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a XL-7 in a 25-06. I've shot it several times and like the rifle. It has a full floating barrel, but I've noticed that the end of the fore-end is touching the barrel. I can pull down on the end of the stock and it does seperate from the barrel. Does this affect accuracy? My savage stock does not touch at all. Just wondering?

Thanks Kevin

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a good looking rifle. I bought mine for a pig rifle and to let my grandson shoot a deer next year. I looked at some other web sites about painting it camo myself, I'm still working up the nerve to spray paint my rifle.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
worked up a load for a friend's xs7 in 243. Out-shoots my Rem 700 ADL 243 and will hang with a lot of $800 guns. So glad they have not put the xs7 7mm-08 on the market with a proper wooden stock.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The Marlin 30.06 is a great rifle. It is very accurate. Bought my father in law one last year and we went mule deer hunting this past November in New Mexico. We were shooting 150 gr Hornady SST light magnums. My father in law shot his mule deer at 100 yards and dropped him in his tracks. My friend also used my father in laws rifle because he was having problems with his scope. Dropped his mule deer in his tracks at 400 yards. I will post picks later.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yes it can.The reason behind floating a barrel is so that each shot replicates the same conditions as the last. If your stock is touching the end of the barrel you do not have a free floating barrel. Think of it this way, if you rest the stock near the action on one shot you have less pressure on the barrel than if you rested it on the forehand portion. You will be constantly changing the harmonics created by the bullet each time you shift the locations of your rest. Now how much will it affect accuracy usually depends on all the other factors combined. I prefer wood stocks on my rifles, they are impacted to a much further degree than synthetic due to humidity. In order to achieve accuracy, consistency must be present. I would remove some of the material that touches the barrel so it will be free floating. Side note, the old philosophy, say before the 1960's it was thought that a slight upward pressure from the front of the stock benefited accuracy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts