2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it is looking like I'll be doing some serious hunting next year thanks to a buddy of mine so I'm looking for a new deer rifle. Lots of brush and such around here so I most likely won't be taking any long shots.. Maybe 100 yds or so...

Anyhoo, I'm looking at a Marlin 336C in 35 Rem calibre with a small scope.. Does anyone have experience with this rifle in 35 rem? If so, what do you think of it?

·
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
I'm a big Marlin afficianado - owner of a .22, .44, 30/30 and 45.70. The .35 is next on my 'must have' agenda.

Any reason why your going with a .35 over a 30/30? For most cases the 30/30 would be a better fit for the game found in Texas. Also, 30/30 ammo is a little easier to find.

For a great deal of information go to the Marlinowner.com message board. I haven't posted their in ages, but lurk often.

I can tell you this, the shorter marlin is a pleasure to take in the field. It's a smaller rifle and thus easier to climb into my blind and tree stands with. Not to mention when I go out for a walk after my hunt, it's a lot easier to carry around than a larger rifle.

If you are staying within 100 yards, there really isn't a good reason to purchase the LeverRevolution scope. Generally, that's for shooting outside 100 yards with the LeverRevolution ammo. For my 45/70 I went with a Luepold as it gave me better vision in near dusk conditions. It's been a big help for hog hunting.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I love mine in the .30/30! Will knock down anything you hit. Shot an axis buck at 40 yards in the neck and he never moved!(except for hitting the ground!)
Ammo is cheap and plentiful, and with the Leverevolution accuracy is pretty good. I still like mine as a brush gun, so no scope for me, but I think it'd be great to have one.

·
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I just talked to my buddy who is a local gunsmith so it looks like I'm going with the 30/30 rather than the Rem 35.

·
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change
10,507 Posts
My son took this deer this weekend with the same gun....Marlin 336 chambered in .35 rem.....Get This....at over 160 yds......we had zeroed the gun at 100 yds and I tried to do ballistics on the fly but was off a little...I had him hold over 3" at the point of impact or target spot and figured that would be good.......he hit behind the shoulder a little low....What an exit wound!!!!.......Later I looked at the ballistics on this gun and I should have had him hold over 3" at the top of the shoulder.....Its kinda like the maintenance on my ole ladys car...I just dont keep up with it like mine....oh well he killed the deer.....and actually hit the bottom of the heart!......Its a great gun for close range but like said earlier the only place I can find a box of ammo is at BPS......youll like the gun...do some reseach on the .35 Rem and you will find that it is one heck of a cartridge that just did not take off like others....its been around a while and packs a wallop
here is a link w/a little background on the caliber
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/fryxell/35_remington.htm

TS

Attachments

·
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My son took this deer this weekend with the same gun....Marlin 336 chambered in .35 rem.....Get This....at over 160 yds......we had zeroed the gun at 100 yds and I tried to do ballistics on the fly but was off a little...I had him hold over 3" at the point of impact or target spot and figured that would be good.......he hit behind the shoulder a little low....What an exit wound!!!!.......Later I looked at the ballistics on this gun and I should have had him hold over 3" at the top of the shoulder.....Its kinda like the maintenance on my ole ladys car...I just dont keep up with it like mine....oh well he killed the deer.....and actually hit the bottom of the heart!......Its a great gun for close range but like said earlier the only place I can find a box of ammo is at BPS......youll like the gun...do some reseach on the .35 Rem and you will find that it is one heck of a cartridge that just did not take off like others....its been around a while and packs a wallop
here is a link w/a little background on the caliber
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/fryxell/35_remington.htm

TS
WOW! That is a great buck!

Thanks for the info!

·
DS1262
2,137 Posts
I have a .35 that I've hunted with for at least 20 years. It's a great brush gun that doesn't mind a twig or 2 in it's path and has awsome knockdown power. It's my go to gun for heavy brush or anything around 100 yards. Lightweight enough for an all day still hunt. I shoot 200 or 220 grain bullets that I hand load, but ammo is available just about everywhere. I have a cheap 4 power Nikon scope that I put on many years ago and it does everything that I want it to do. Can't go wrong with the .35. I also have a 30/30, but much prefer the .35 for close range.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have a 336C in .35rem... haven't used it in years, but back in the day I killed
lots of deer with it and never had a problem. On my current lease, there are too
many chances for a > 200yd shot...

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I'm a big Marlin afficianado - owner of a .22, .44, 30/30 and 45.70. The .35 is next on my 'must have' agenda.

Any reason why your going with a .35 over a 30/30? For most cases the 30/30 would be a better fit for the game found in Texas. Also, 30/30 ammo is a little easier to find.

For a great deal of information go to the Marlinowner.com message board. I haven't posted their in ages, but lurk often.

I can tell you this, the shorter marlin is a pleasure to take in the field. It's a smaller rifle and thus easier to climb into my blind and tree stands with. Not to mention when I go out for a walk after my hunt, it's a lot easier to carry around than a larger rifle.

If you are staying within 100 yards, there really isn't a good reason to purchase the LeverRevolution scope. Generally, that's for shooting outside 100 yards with the LeverRevolution ammo. For my 45/70 I went with a Luepold as it gave me better vision in near dusk conditions. It's been a big help for hog hunting.
How do you like the 45/70? I've been thinking about getting the new SBL

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
30-30 no reason not too. They have killed more deer than all the other calibers combined. 35 is a great gun but it is somewhat limited. With a 30-30 you can do it all.
Plus ammo is available most everywhere.

Charlie

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
Marlin defititely has the lever gun niche. Excellent guns, plus as said before the leverevolution hornady stuff really kicks them up.

That 35 remington is a great caliber for shorter ranges. I have my grand dad's old Remington pump (can't remember the model number) with an old weaver K-4 on it. Took it to carter's right out of the closet, hadn't been shot in 30 years, bought off the shelf ammo, and shot a 1.1" group of 5 shots at 100 yards.

Regarding good "brush caliber" Jack O'Connor, in his 1962 brush gun test, which is the one most often referred to when this subject comes up, put the 35 remington 200 gr RN in his top 3, along with the 300 savage 180 gr RN, and I believe the 45-70

Also I just spent some time in the ballistic tables comparing the leverevolution 35 rem 200 gr vs the 30-30 160 gr. The 35 rem wins in energy all the way out except at 300 yards where it is 22 ft pounds less. The velocity of the 35 is a bit slower, but not that much. More importantly with both guns sighted in 3" high at 100 the 35 rem is 1.3" low at 200, whereas the 30-30 is only .2" low (1.1" difference- negligible) Now at 300 yards the 35 starts to drop of at 17.5" vs the 30-30 at 12.1" So out to 200 yards, 90% of the shots in Texas, that 35 looks like a winner.

So you could sight in for 3" high at 100 and probably shoot dead on out to 225 or so with that 35.

With those numbers there's a pretty good case for that old 35 remington.

Good luck,

THE JAMMER

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Get it. No scope. Get a William's peep sight to put on it and reload your own. Save the optics for your bolt actions.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If you want the best of both worlds, scope and regular sights, you might look into getting the rail that goes on top, the XS ghost rear sight, and leupold quick release rings.

That way if plan on long range shooting go with the scope and if you are doing a little walking around release the rings and you can have open sights as well.

I have a Marlin in .44 mag and I love it. The gun in general is better than the Winchester that I have. I plan on getting the 45/70 with the 26" octogon barrel. One day of course.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
No doubt it will work but it would not be my choice for my only centerfire rifle. A decent .270, .308., 30-06, etc. bolt action with a good scope will give you more flexibility if you find yourself invited to hunt somewhere with longer shots.

Of course, you can always buy more rifles, which is what most of us do!:slimer:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Of all the guns I own That is my favorite rifle and caliber many a whitetail have been turned into food with that gun. Try the accuracy load from lyman 1982 book for it awesome!

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I also have a 336 CS in 35 Rem. I have shot a lot of deer in the brush with this gun and put the 220 grain in it to hog hunt with. I have had it about 20 years and not hunted with it in about 4 years. I have a Cabelas scope on it that I bought back then because I lost my Zeiss connection. I had a friend that was a Zeiss rep and he loaned me the demos to use for free. I do like the 35 Rem. Good brush gun.

Matt

·
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the input everyone. I knew I'd get some good and honest opinions.

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
No doubt it will work but it would not be my choice for my only centerfire rifle. A decent .270, .308., 30-06, etc. bolt action with a good scope will give you more flexibility if you find yourself invited to hunt somewhere with longer shots.

Of course, you can always buy more rifles, which is what most of us do!:slimer:
I agree with Charles 100%. As many lever action Marlins as I have, I have a Savage 30.06 with a Leupold scope. It's my 'go to gun' when I get invited on a hunt where I'm not sure what the conditions will be. As great as the .35 and 30/30 Marlins are - make sure your stable has a bolt action in a traditional caliber. Then go buy whatever tickles your fancy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts