2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so far, test driving the Castaway SLX 3 series in the aisle at Acadamy feels the best. its a $90 price. LIke to get a good, sensitive, 7footer that can work topwaters and bait well, yet still set the hook good. I currently have about a 7 year old Castaway that is my old standby, and i like it.

i am replacing a 7 foot All-star that got messed up this past weekend. the Allstar was the shrimp tail special, just way to light on the end for me. really have trouble setting the hook with it, and about the only thing i fish with it is topwaters (since the hooks mostly set themselves).

any body got any opinions on that Castaway or others in the $100 range. also interested in the ARS....tried the $29 ones in Academy, but they seemed heavier and not as sensitive.

any opinions welcomed. thanks,

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
I have a All Star Titanium that I like, it was what I used for throwing Topwaters until I got my Laguna Jimmy Lloyd Special from Laguna. Caught some nice Trout and Reds with it before it was retired to the standby rack.

·
A.K.A. Jacob's dad
2,449 Posts
Got the SLX3 Saltwater wader 6'5" for father's day topped with a Daiwa Inshore coastal. Real light and sensitive. But I haven't really put it to the test plugging for hours. Plan to though in Rockport, in a couple of weeks. Got it during the Rod Riot Academy has and I think I paid $60. That makes my 3rd Castaway
Tio said:
so far, test driving the Castaway SLX 3 series in the aisle at Acadamy feels the best. its a $90 price. LIke to get a good, sensitive, 7footer that can work topwaters and bait well, yet still set the hook good. I currently have about a 7 year old Castaway that is my old standby, and i like it.

i am replacing a 7 foot All-star that got messed up this past weekend. the Allstar was the shrimp tail special, just way to light on the end for me. really have trouble setting the hook with it, and about the only thing i fish with it is topwaters (since the hooks mostly set themselves).

any body got any opinions on that Castaway or others in the $100 range. also interested in the ARS....tried the $29 ones in Academy, but they seemed heavier and not as sensitive.

any opinions welcomed. thanks,

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Check the rod building board I have seen some nice ones there.The last two rods I purchased I had made on Shikari blanks and I love them.They are very light but have plenty of backbone to them .I also own a Kistler rod which I believe has a Shikari blank that is very nice and light .I think the advantages of a custom rod (you pick thread color and style,handle like you want,getting your name and phone # painted onto blank,etc.)are worth the extra 25 or 30 bucks of a higher end rod you can pick up at academy. I can get you the number of a guy in San Antonio who builds them on the side if interested.

Michael

·
Registered
116 Posts
As a geriactic kayak fisherman, I am always looking for equipment that makes my trips less physically stressful. My personal conventional tackle preference is the LTA Kistler, weight approx 5.5 ozs, paired with a Mag 50 Chronarch by Shimano, approx 5.5 ozs. Easy on the arm, tough on the fish. Don't think me argumentative, but I think Kistler uses St. Croix rod blanks, another plus for them....tight lines

·
Member of the 7mm STW Club
1,261 Posts
My favorite go to combo is my Texas Tackle Factory Trout Killer I rod with a Shimano Calcutta 250 reel.Love the handle and action of the rod and the dependability and smoothness of the reel.Plan to get a second set someday.

·
Old Guys Rule (When we're up to it)
1,259 Posts
Right now Academy has various weight Castaway IM6 casting Popping rods, buy one at $49.95 and get the second one free. They are 6'-6" and 7'-0".
They are not Lagunas but not $235 either. How can they do that?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts