2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boat still has the original batteries in it, going on year three. In the past I have had my boat batteries go out about this time so I'm going to replace them before I get stranded. I have had Continentals and they were the worst, I used Nautilus in previous boats and thought they were pretty good. Don't even know what's in the boat right now, can only see the top. I saw SeaVolt at West Marine yesterday, but don't know anything about them so I passed. Before I pull the trigger, does anyone have any usefull information on marine cranking batteries like some independant test data or reviews ? I don't think I'm going to do the "Orbital" thing, unless they have come down (way down) in price recently

Thanks in advance !

·
CantRe Member
782 Posts
I've had my best luck with ac/delco marine batteries, I've had 2 that lasted me well over 5 years and they used to come with a 3 year warranty, I've seen my buds not get over 2 years with the ones he was buying. I've been looking for someplace that sells them but cant seem to find them anywhere. I have a thread on here for info on who sells them.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Orbital

Academy has their Exide Orbitals priced at $98 each now. That's the same price on the trolling motor batteries and the cranking batteries. I purchased two of the trolling motor batteries recently because they're the perfect size for underneath my center console. I think the $98 is the new "everyday" price, so you might be able to find them a little cheaper on sale. They are the same exact battery as the MinnKota Orbitals and those are still selling around $150 or so.

·
Registered
798 Posts
What I have had the best luck with, and I was replacing batteries every two years, is that yellow battery Wal Mart sels. They sell for around $55.00 each and carry a REPLACEMENT warranty of THREE years and prorated for a couple of more years. If the battery outlives the warranty, I got my monies worth if it doesn't Wal Mart gives me a new one. The troll motor battery is as strong as any I have bought and will last all day fighting the current of the Tennessee River.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I've had good luck with Interstate deep cycle/starting combo batteries (series 27). They come with a 12 month full warranty and a 30 month prorated. My last two went four years before they stopped taking a full charge.

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exide Orbitals ?

If I can get an Orbital for < $100, I'll do it. Last time I did any looking those batteries were $160. Was looking at reviews and that battery type (AGM) is supposed to be significantly better for boats since it holds it's charge a lot longer between uses, and delivers a lot more amps in the first 5 seconds than any other type. Also supposed to last 6 years if charged correctly. It's a lot of money, especially since I need two, but in the long run it may be about 33% cheaper.

Think I'll stop at Academy on the way home, I'm sure my private parking place is ready and my souped up electric cart is fully charged. I always get a kick out of it when the manager comes over and says "Very nice to see you again, Mr. Elliott, I will be your personal Academy Cady today. If there is anything I can get for you please let me know. By the way... have you seen the new Chronarchs ?"

This is going to hurt.

·
Registered
335 Posts
There is some more conversation about trolling motor batteries on the fishing report forum. I put the thread on the wrong forum...I,m learning!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Bubba T. said:
do you live near the tennessee river? i lived in decatur back in 74
No, I live in South Texas. I make at least one trip to Pickwick every year to fish the river. Greatest catfishing resource in the US. I like to go in April when the skippys are running, they are a lot of fun to catch and make the best bait for deep drifting for blues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts