2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some friends are strongly suggesting we use their place at Mansfield for a Labor Day trip and I am on the fence.

The things that are getting in the way are:

1) The drive. How many hours is it really from Spring to PM?

2) The fishing opportunities. Boatless in Mansfield? There aren't exactly public piers everywhere.

What do you guys think? We would be taking the kiddos. Any thoughts?

FC

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Jan, look at it this way. From Spring, you're looking at 6 plus hours. It's a Holiday weeked and everyone is on the road including every Cop in the State. Unless you have a boat or hire a Guide, you are VERY limited as to fishing areas. Gas prices are $1.80 a gallon. If you just want to hit the water, go to Sam's Beach. But then again, MANY folks will also be there. Labor Day Weekend is traditionally the last great outing most families make for the Summer. Personally, I enjoy the comforts of home on these weekends and let the masses have it.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
It would still be a very nice getaway. Where would you be staying? Boat would be nice anywhere.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
There are some wade fishing opportunities. South of town is probably the best bet. As for the kids, they will be bored to death. There just is not that much to do in PM other than fishing. You'll be about an hour from SPI if you take the back roads and there's lots to do there but it will be overun with people on that weekend. I'm headed down that weekend but won't be at the beach. I'll be casting to tailing reds early in the morning and then trying to shoot a few white wings in the afternoon. Life is good down there.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Heck no

PM is a great place for adults (with boats) but the kids won't like the drive or what they find when they get there. If you want to go south I suggest Port O or Port A. Your kids will thank me.

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,539 Posts
The main point is that if you do go, make sure you leave VERY early on Monday or else suffer a looooooooooooooooooong wait at the Border Patrol Check-Point on your way home.

Public fishing pier on the north side of PM with lights, a few piers here and there on the harbor with lights and you can drive down to the point south of the harbor if you feel the need to wade.

TH

·
Registered
663 Posts
Jan

The thing to consider is, is this trip for the adults or the kids? I have a feeling that the younger ones would not be interested in the long trip to go fishing. How about a trip to New Braunfels or Surfside? Beach during the day/jetty fishing at night? Sure save you a whole lot in time and gas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts