2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone said that making plans is a good way to make God laugh or something like that. Tarpon fishermen must keep the Big Guy in stitches most of the year.

It's my first real go at them this year, and I have the grandest of plans, the highest of expectations, and I just know it's finally my time (deep thunderous chuckle from sky).

I rigged up my rods last night, tied the leaders up, sharpened my hooks, set my drags, studied my maps and tide charts, etc. and I know exactly when and where I'm going to finally catch my first Texas tarpon (sputtering guffaw from parts unknown).

So, Monday when I post my victorious pics and war story, everyone will be prepared (gut busting cackling from above).

I figure by making the grand plan makes it a win-win situation. I can make God laugh or catch a tarpon. I reckon I'm happy with either of those.

Hope you guys catch some this weekend. If you hear odd thunderlike noises from above--don't worry about lightning or head in to port unless you're sure it's lightning. More than likely it will be my grand plans tickling Somebody.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I recommend leaving the high dollar camera at home. I think that was the key decision in my catch! Good Luck! I plan on getting out there this weekend too!

-Mike.

·
Kayak Fisher
7,566 Posts
What a wonderful post. I loved it! I look forward to seeing the pics of your tarpon catch, and I know that God will be laughing with pride for you!

·
Registered
187 Posts
CRT, Thanks for the post keeping with the reality of tarpon fishing for the Texas weekend end warrior. It seems like this forum itself has illustrated the challenge of Texas tarpon in June. Yes, a few nice reports and congrats to them but overall a slow month. Either Texas tarpon fishermen have gotten more tight lipped than ever or the fish are not in numbers yet. I hope its the latter or this forum is loosing it's value.

I've just got back from 2 weeks of business travel last night. Up at 9am from jet lag and start checking the fishing possibilities. Weather looks good so my intention is to wet a hook in tarpon waters before the day is up. My Sunday afternoon excursion has little to know planning. So at most, God will get a little giggle from my efforts today.

Good luck. I look forward to the pics of your first Texas tarpon.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Good luck.

It might be a week before I know how you did but it sounds like you have made all the right preparations.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been pretty busy today at work or I would've posted earlier. But, you know if I'd had a picture to show, I would've made time.

BIG SIGH. I have no picture. We caught jacks, sharks, gafftop, etc. at POC. I only saw one pod of a few fish outside of the north jetty. I got a dead shad crushed right there...rod bent in two and the whole thing came back with the shad just crushed. They were bigger fish over four feet long...maybe four fish in the group, but I only saw them once and I think the shad was crushed by a jack.

I think I gave Him too much to laugh about. Those folks up in New York that are being flooded right now might want to know that may not be rain falling. My plan made Him laugh that hard.

Right now I'm defeated and crushed like that shad, but it reminds me of another saying: "Hope springs eternal in the heart of a fool."

Right now, I'm no fool. But, by Thursday I will be making God laugh again on a whole new level and foolishness will abound as hope springs again. My new and improved plan of action will be perfect by Friday night.

By Sunday night it will likely be chuckle fodder once again...but on Saturday morning, look out! I'll be calling my shot again and pointing my rod at the north jetty, a determined scowl on my face like Babe Ruth in the batter's box: "My tarpon is going to jump over that wall!!!! Better pull your anchors and back away slowly from the rocks as he's huge and we don't want any collateral damage!!! You guys on the rocks get ready to duck!" Uh-oh...I'm getting wound up already...and it's Monday afternoon.

Another saying is, "God loves a fool." I think I'll be in good stead with Him most of the summer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts