2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the Illusion perform in a good chop?? How wet are they, how do they handle etc.....I know its built for shallow water but how does it do overall.....Just wondering.....

·
DOINK
10,027 Posts
I do not own one but i have fished out one several times. It as good as can be expected with that hull. as long as you are running into(or down) organized chop it is manageble. The extreme is way better once you get enough speed to ride on top. You cant avoid some wettness with the profile. The extreme is very dry. Hope it helps.

Lots of Illusion owners here. suprised no one posted up. Great boat though!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Flat bottom = bumpy ride...bearable but not exactly comfortable. Not an ideal boat for an open water, BUT get it in less than 12" and it is stellar. That rig will run in places you will be afraid to take it.
I have an Extreme and my bud has the Illusion, Majek builds great boats.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been in one on a Baffin Trip that was pretty windy. It was a lot more smooth than what i expected out of that hull. I was impressed.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i have two fishing buddies that owen the illusion, and i owen a redfish line. the illusion is a smooth boat , it doesnt vibrate as much as the rfl , doesnt slide when you turn. as far as chop goes. its just like most true flats boats if you go directly into the chop its goin to get bumpy, take it at a angle and the ride gets better. speed has a factor in the smoothness in the ride . its a very dry ride, plenty of fishing space on deck . i think it has a good amount of storage . it drafts very well with alot weight, the sink ratio is not verry noticable .

·
Registered
162 Posts
like any falt bottom there is some thump but it really rides good for a flat bottom....if you ride the waves and quarter over, you can make it smooth, jsut work the helm and throttle....it really is not bad at all, but it is not a v...as far as getting wet, none, it is extremely stable and extremely dry...plus as aggiephil30 said, they build darn tough boats....it is hard to wear that hull out

·
Registered
162 Posts
forgot you asked how it handles as well: like any tunnel it is like maneuvering a bus at the dock, does not back up well, but if you have been in a tunnel boat, you get used to it...not a big deal for me...as far as turning, it will turn on a dime...the two big changes from teh rfl, were the addition of some varible deadrise on either side of the tunnel and the rails that run up to the bow, you dig that rail in hard, hold on, she will turn really good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info. --I really appreciate the details, I have been in many shallow water boats, just not a majek, although I have heard mostly good stuff about them...

·
The POC Experience
2,555 Posts
to some people, mostly blue wave owners, shallow means 2ft or more. I mean have you ever fished the rigs in less than 2 ft of water?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Majek Illusion is a great boat. I have riden in on several times. Built to run shallow but can haddle some medium chop. IMO it is a great all around boat.

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
im sure he meant that a Blue Wave will cut the chop better than a Illusion, which it will just because its a v bottom, and it will run shallow, just not as shallow as the Illusion, see so each boat has its own qualities... so before this becomes a blue wave vs. majek thread, lets not hi jack and stay on the original posters question... how does the Illusion perform in the snot?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I was talking to a guy the other day that sells new Majeks and asked about the ride of the Illusion in chop. He said "it's 50% better than the RFL. Which means it just takes twice as long to beat you to death". Not my words but his.

·
Registered
306 Posts
How does the Illusion perform in a good chop?? How wet are they, how do they handle etc.....I know its built for shallow water but how does it do overall.....Just wondering.....
i've been in a new Illusion for a few months now. i have one with an 18" riser. i'm very satisfied so far. i fish the Baffin area 90% of the time, so i'm running south, the shorelines of Baffin and in and out of the mouth or cutting across the bay itself. in the shallows it's a no brainer...one of the best. in the chop...it really depends on who has the helm. i'm happy with it. turns on a dime. dry ride...etc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts