2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trodery and I drove down to Jamaica Beach yesterday to check out my family's beach house and the homes of some of trodery's friends. My beach house is in very bad shape but it was about what I expected. However, I would say that overall Galveston and Jamaica Beach were in much better shape than I expected so I feel a little better about the future of the area I love so much.

Many thanks to trodery for driving me down there in his truck!

When we arrived at I-45, there was a fairly long line of slow-moving traffic. We inadvertently lucked into skipping most of the line, because we approached 45 from Hwy 6, and there was no traffic on the long feeder road. Once we got on 45 we only had about a 10 minute wait in traffic. The interesting thing was that they were not really checking anything at the check point...all we did was tell the guy we were going to Jamaica Beach, and they marked on our windshield and waved us through. No papers required or anything. Since it was taking about 15 secs per car at the checkpoint, the traffic was moving just fine. Once we got past the checkpoint, we didn't experience any traffic or anything in Galveston or Jamaica Beach.

My Beach house - our family beach house was right on the beach in Jamaica Beach, and its not looking good. The house actually survived, but it has significant damage. It does not appear that the tidal surge got over the deck into the 2nd floor, which is great. But part of the roof was damaged, the porch and stairs are destroyed, and the downstairs is completely gone. But the worst part is the beach erosion - we went from being several hundred feet from the water line to several feet. The dunes are 100% destroyed and the water is almost lapping at our beams.

Jamaica Beach - overall, Jamaica Beach is in remarkably good shape, other than the beach front houses. There are scattered houses throughout the bay and beach side that were severely damaged, but most homes did quite well, under the circumstances. Even homes on the 2nd row, beach side, look pretty good, especially since they don't have to worry about the beach erosion. On the bay side, most homes really only have to worry about the damage to the downstairs areas. There is of course a lot of mess and plenty of damaged homes, but it looked much better than I expected.

Some of the other divisions on the west end looked much better than Jamaica Beach. Pirates Beach looked really good....but there is much more land between the road and the beach at Pirate's, and we didn't check out the beach front there. Also, some of the newer high-dollar subdivisions on the west end fared very well. One division we checked out (a mile or two west of Jamaica Beach) looked like the homes had only minor damage, despite being on the front row. However those houses were set back more from the dunes than at Jamaica Beach, and it appeared that they may have added some dirt before construction and built the homes up a little bit.

The water level seems really high. The canals of Jamaica Beach bay-side are almost full, and the waves are still breaking right up against the seawall.

Galveston - We drove almost the entire length of the seawall, and through some of downtown. The seawall looks pretty good overall. The majority of the hotels, condos, and businesses on the seawall look to only have minor damage. The two fishing piers are history - the Galveston Fishing Pier is half gone and in tatters. The 61st Street pier is literally completely gone.

The flagship had a lot of damage, and one of the concrete ramps leading onto the flagship caved in. All the restaurants and gift shops NE of the flagship that were in the water and completely destroyed or gone.

The neighborhoods of Galveston look remarkably well. Driving through them didn't look much different than driving through Houston right now. I know there are pockets of extreme damage, but the parts we drove through looked pretty good.

The bait shops and boat yards near and on 61st street were almost all leveled. However, West Bay Bait near Jamaica Beach looked to be intact.

Here are the pictures. The first 30 or so are of my house. I then took a bunch of random photos of Jamaica Beach, including a lot of houses. Hopefully this will help some people out who are not able to get to their houses. finally, there are some various photos that I took driving back through Galveston.

http://picasaweb.google.com/austincrossley/GalvestonIke#

·
PETA & LIBS let Obama eat dogs.
4,471 Posts
Glad you and Trodery hooked up-he pm'ed me and I suggested he contact you-sorry about the roof damage and beach erosion-yes, it could have been worse. Be careful and good luck!

JN

·
Registered
8 Posts
You got some pictures of my GFs family beach house. The one with the ropes looping down the side.

It's so sad, the only place her grandfather really loved. He overcame cancer there, taught my gf and and all of her family how to swim there. Such a loss....

Does anyone know a builder that could assess everything for us?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SeaRayRun, your GF's grandfather's house is next door to us. We were all sad to see the damage there, because over the years he has put so much work in and it was clear he loved that place. I'll send you a PM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts