2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lef thte house aorund two thirty heading west for some sand between my toes. The High Island and Bolivar area took a major blow from Ike. The drive went good, got on the beach well before sunup. Located a few pony mullet with the headlights on the Jeep. Was able to catch a few pony mullet with the cast net, but the mullet were hard to come by all weekend.

I trout fished for about an hour in the the surf as everyone was showing up. Trout bite was slow, with inly two dinks and a few blowups on top water. Was not my intentions to grind it out for trout, so did not put much effort into fuguring out what they were hitting. Talk with a few other fishermen that did catch some good trout a few miles down from us on free lined live baits.

Once everyone got there we paddle out about 500 yards and anchored up in 15-18' of water. Fishing was slow for everything but Gafftops. The gafftops were thick, and were htiting everything that we were fishing with. A few bait balls came through after ten, and people starting to hook large shakrs and bull reds. The action was not fast, but was steady.

]

I was able to get three bull reds out of the kayak before I ran out of bait. Once on the beach I rigged a few surf rods and tried to catch more bait. The gafftops drove most everyone in for a lunch break. After lunch a few more people went back out to fish from the kayaks, whilr some of us through a cast until I could not move my arms. Fished for whitting, caught more rat reds then anything else. Luckly Latestart had his new boat there, and caught a few mullet from it and I got my hand on three of them. I got them baited up and paddled some surf rods out for the late evening bite. Got one bull red and a Bull shark from the beach in the evening.

We kept a large fire going all night and the friendly BS flowed like wine most of the night. It did me a great deal of good to get away from the house for a few days. Lot of people went back out sunday morning, I slept in and loaded up early. I did not have any bait, and could not get any. So I took my time laoding and enjoying the last few minutes on the beach before heading back.

He the low down. Lot of fish on Matagorda beach right now. Bull reds, slot reds, trout, and sharks. It is a buffet for a surf fishermen there right now. The water was off color, but not bad. More of a sandy color. From talking to friends that were coming off the beach saturday evening that had went down much further then we were said the water stayed about the same all the way down. We used a lot of different baits this weekend, all my fish were caught on fresh mullet. There were some large sharks caught by kayak fishermen this weekend, and I am looking foward to the pics. If you plan on heading to matagorda anytime soon, I would also suggest a goo supply of bug spray.

s]

·
Registered
152 Posts
Great report! Looks/sounds like a good time was had by all. I spent my Saturday in Caplen checking out our slab... not much else was left. You're right about the Bolivar beachfront... it took a beating.

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
big john o said:
Good report. How is the sand on Matagorda? Do you need 4WD?
We were only about two miles down. The beach was in good shape, and you did not need a 4wd to get to where we were at.

There were a lot of people I was fishing with, and we caught a lot of fish. Here is a link to the BIG report and lot of pics from most of the others that were fishing.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103011

·
Registered
322 Posts
Went doen 10-11 miles a week ago and never NEEDED 4x4, i was in it but realy didnt need it, once past about 7 miles the clay starts to get exposed and it can get hairy.
SEE YA!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts